why does my dog chew on the carpet?

chevy has had fleas in the past and chews himself and his paws and the carpet or anything else, even wood. he is half pit bull and half rat terrier.

Asked by Member 918299 on Nov 21st 2009 Tagged chewing in Behavior & Training

Answers

Ali

Well my rat terrier loves chewing on the carpet just for the fun of it when she gets bored, or thinks its more interesting than her toy. Your dog might be chewing the carpet for the same reason, or, if you have the right carpet, it might feel like chewing fleas out of his fur, or maybe there is fleas in your carpet and he's trying to get them out. Wash everything he laid on and has been around that might contain fleas just in case. No one wants fleas in their home!
Hope I helped.
-Ali

Ali answered on 11/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Pitbull mix chews on himself and things:
Well, sorry Chevy is having some itchies...
Could be the after effect of the fleas he had...
Also, for the chewing on things: HOW about one of the nice Strong Kongs - fill it with some peanutbutter or even yogurt and freeze it for a few hours...that will keep him busy.
SEE here for help with the itchies:
good supplement / vitamin
www.apluspetcare.com
We take 1/2 a day -
You will need 1 treat per day of the wafers...
Hope this helps..
Marie and Miss Priss

DUDE!!!
your dog is probably bored!!!!
if you don't spend much time w/ the dog than that's the reason!!!! even if you don't have much time than give it a bone or chew toy so that it will have something BESIDES the carpet!!!!

Sarge

The number one reason dogs chew is boredom. Try exercising him/her more often. I would also recommend crate training your dog when you can't supervise him/her. Also, get a "Kong" and stuff it with peanut butter (unless your dog has an allergy) and freeze it. When you leave the house put your dog and the frozen kong in the crate. The kong will distract your dog for quite awhile.
-my mom is a cpdt (certified pet dog trainer)

Sarge answered on 11/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer