Why does my dog always hump my leg?

Asked by Member 801207 on Feb 8th 2009 Tagged humping, leg, dog in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

shiloh Bear

is he fixed? if not he is realesing sexual tension out on your leg

shiloh Bear answered on 2/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Humping is also a sign of dominating. Do not let your dog hump you.

Some say it's sexual, others dominance. Maybe sometimes it's 1 & sometimes, the other. My dog did it, & when I treated it as a sexual problem, it persisted. When I treated it as a dominance problem, it stopped. However, my dog isn’t yours.

I think many people attach unnecessary stigmas to both. Don’t listen to them. Nature is what it is. Dominance (just another word for authority) is nec. for parents, bosses, teachers, cops &, yes, even dogs & wolves. As for sex, well, none of us would be here if… you get the idea.

Read & watch what various dog authorities say about it. Notice whether authorities in question are trying to improve peoples' understanding of dogs or whether they are just trying to show off what they've learned or concluded. Trust your gut on this. Ask several trainers, too. The more opinions you get, the easier it is to weigh them. Also, check out Animal Planet & the National Geographic channels. There are dog trainers & behaviorists on both.

Hormones. I would have him neutered.This should decrease his hormones.
Then if he continues you will have to make him stop.
If he is a small dog they do not like it when you grab the nap of his neck and gently pull back. Mom dogs do this to correct bad behavior. He should let go when he does make him sit and praise him.