Why does my dog act so crazy at bedtime?

Every night for the past couple of weeks, my Carolina Dog/American Dingo has been acting crazy when it's time for bed. He calmly lays on the bed whole I'm getting ready, but once I get into bed, he tries to burrow under the blankets, he starts to "dig" the sheets, he rolls around on his back, bites the air, growls, and generally flips out. Generally, I have to restrain him and pet him to calm him down, and usually while I do that, he's biting at the air and growling (playfully). After about 5 minutes of this, he goes to sleep. The problem is that my husband goes to bed before me, and my dog keeps waking him up with this behavior. If I send my dog to bed with my husband, he scratches at the door because he wants to be in the living room with me.

Any ideas as to why my dog is behaving this way and how to discourage it? He gets plenty of exercise (about 2 or 3 hour-long walks per day) and behaves very well usually. Thanks.

Asked by Member 543704 on Dec 10th 2007 Tagged bedtime, crazy in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Georgia's Summer Breeze

These are what I call the night time zoomies. If you dog is young...under two from what I understand it is not unusual to go through. It seems to pass.

Georgia's Summer Breeze answered on 12/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Tiffy♥

I sometimes have the same problems with my 1 1/2 year old cockapoo Tiffy, but Tiffy is also a extra-hyper dog. When she knows it is "kennel time" or bedtime without me telling her, she does the same "digging" the sheets, and burries herself under the covers. It never fails, unless my Mom or brother put her to bed. I think it is from being tired and not knowing what to do with herself. I think she also does it for attention too.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 12/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer