Why does my 4-year-old corgi have trouble walking a mile?

I recently moved to an area that has a mile long walking path, and thought it was a great way to start walking my corgi. Well, she did good for the first third of the walk, then she slowed down a lot. A couple minutes later, she would lay down and take a break for about a minute about every thirty feet. Am I pushing her too far to start with or is she just not wanting to walk? I know she needs the exercise, but I don't want to push her too far. Should I only take her the third of a mile? Thank you for your answers.

Asked by Member 1059244 on Sep 26th 2011 Tagged walking, corgi, overexercise in Exercise

Answers

It really depends on her fitness level.

Corgis are famous for overeating and becoming fat, since they have the torso (and stomach) of a big dog and the legs of a small one, plus the mentality of a vacuum cleaner. Fat dogs have trouble exercising and are more likely to overheat or injure themselves. Corgis also tend to get arthritis at younger ages than long-legged dogs, because of their unusual bone structure.

If she's overweight, I'd put her a diet right away. Keep up with the walking, but don't force her if she's tired- that will just make her not want to walk at all. Get her checked by a vet for arthritis and started on medication if necessary.

Shy and fearful dogs can be hard to walk and balk at leaving home, but I assume that's not her problem or you would have mentioned it.

I'd start with a shorter walk, and work your way up. Corgis are energetic, but they have short, little legs, so she makes several strides for every one that you make. You might do a quarter of a mile a day for the first week, giving her a day off if she seems to need it. Then you can go a little farther each week until you get your mile in daily. I find that it helps to bring a water bottle for my dog, as well.

The dog walk is one of my favorite times of the day, and it's Libby's, too. Happy hiking!

if the dog is laying down after that short of time, she is telling you something that she can't . I would not push her.
she really needs to be examined by a vet. It is possible she has an orthopedic problem. maybe the elbow, leg joints or the hip. dogs can have a conditioned called hip dyplasia.
hope you can find out what is making her not want to walk. if she is clear at the vets of any health issues then you can slowly increase her walking. she may be just over weight and the extra weight is hurting her joints. not sure start with your vet. :)

You have to build up to a distance. If your dog has not done much for exercise lately. It is going to take a bit to get them in shape. I took in a six year old years ago that came to me fat and out of shape. He started out just walking a 1/4 mile and just kept building up until in time he was able to run a couple of miles and had lost the extra weight. But you have to watch them because they will have days they are to tired to go that far. Good luck and I hope you can get the dog out walking more.