why does my 14 year old Labrodoer retiever smell like a dead body?

The inside of the a sweaty sneaker,rotten meat,dead body all of the above describe the way my aging Lab/shephard mix Scotty smells like.He is literally smelling up the entire apartment to the point where I can almost taste it.

I know he is having trouble with one of his his hind legs,his furr has been mysteriously green on one side for 2 days and he shakes when he breathes in.He seems to have also lost his appetite.

Asked by Member 1145775 on Dec 18th 2012 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

PLEASE take this poor boy to a veterinarian for a good exam. In an older dog, tooth issues are the most common cause of bad odor and without treatment are likely to quickly cause severe systematic infection and ultimately, a painful, lingering death.
In addition to dental issues, it sounds by your description of "green fur" that he most likely has some sort of infection in his leg. The green is likely pus from the infection. You mention he has trouble with this leg, probably it is extremely painful!!
Not only is ignoring a serious veterinary condition in your dog Animal Cruelty, which IS illegal, it is also extremely immoral to allow you lifelong friend of 14 years to suffer in this way.
I can't imagine letting this happen to my dog and asking for advice on an internet site rather than with my veterinarian who is the only one qualified to treat him and resolve his suffering.
PLEASE, do the right thing and get him to a vet ASAP!!!! NO animal should be allowed to suffer like this!

Oh dear, he needs a vet right now! Poor guy! No being--human or animal--deserves to be in that kind of pain. Please get him in the car right now and go.

Holly

Why' are you wasting time on an answers site trying to find a solution. Take him to the vet IMMEDIATLY. How could you let your 14 yo dog suffer this way. It's actually illegal to let your dog suffer like this and not take him to the vet, it's animal cruelty. How long has this been going on for now? Please, the poor animal just take him to the vet right away.

Holly answered on 12/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Louis

Its seems that either your dog has anal gland problems or there is some kind of skin problem which is making him smell. Either way id take him to the vet,Both problems should be able to be fixed quickly.

Louis answered on 2/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer