Buckeye

Why do some dogs have black spots on their tounges?

I know a Goldendoodle named Murphy who has black spots on his tounge. Why is that? Was he born with them on his tounge?

Asked by Buckeye on Apr 22nd 2010 Tagged tounge, spots, black, dog in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Some dogs are born with it, others develop as the dog matures.

Contrary to popular belief that only certain dog breeds can have spots on their tongues or the roof of their mouth, any dog can have these spots. Some dogs have a lot of spots and others have just one or two. They can range from dark grey to black and even a purplish grey color.

If they are flat and have been there all along (not something that develops overnight or something) then they are simply pigment and aren't anything to worry about. Why they happen is just down to genetics, just like people have spots on their skin or light or dark patches.

Many of my labradors were born with black spots on their tongues... it is, as the other answerer noted, just a pigment issue. It does not mean they are part chow chow, which is a common misconception. It does seem more common in some breeds such as the retrievers and German Shepherds, but can occur in all breeds.

yep just a pigment thing. There was a well known dog here in the usa that had a large black spot on his tongue.
He was a VA german shepherd dog named Burschy zum alten Eichenhof, rip. That was his signature in his pics. He was born like that I am sure.
I think it is cute and rather neat to see.