Why do other dogs attack my dog at the dog park?

i have a 8 month girl puggle. the other times i took her to the dog park, she played well with the other dogs. yesterday and today, the dogs kept attacking her. it was not playful. my dog jumped up because she was scared so i held her. what is the problem?

Asked by Member 996442 on Jul 11th 2010 in Aggression

Answers

I don't think the problem is the dog. I think it is the dogs who are attacking her. That is a bad 101 at this park. No one should be having their dogs attack your doggie.
I hope you can find her a safer place to go.
Check out places that do dog training they sometimes offer romps for 2 hrs for a low fee. And they do not let dogs in that are biters. I go with one of my dogs and all the dogs get along and play. If any dog does act out they are banned.
I don't blame your puggle I would be scared too. Poor baby.
Also are all the dogs spayed and neutered, they pick up on that as well, and you can see changes like that with ovulation.
I would say go somewhere else, this could affect your dog for good.

Is she spayed??? If not, it sounds like she may be coming into heat. If this is the case she shouldn't be at the dog park anyway since it is not fair to other dogs. The only signs you may observe might be a slightly swollen vulva, however to the other dogs there would definitely be a smell. This can occur for several weeks before she actually comes into a visible heat when you will notice bleeding, etc.
If she is spayed it's possible that she may have a UTI or slight infection that is making her smell different to the other dogs. May certainly be worth a vet visit.

Another possibility is if she is very excited and in their opinion a "rude little puppy".

Dogs are well aware of age and many other things we don't think they can tell from a few sniffs. Once her status is assessed she needs to keep her place or expect some correction from older dogs.

Dogs that get over excited and RUN, get zoomies....tend to set off the "pack" in a bad way. They will run over such a dog to stop it.

To human standards she may have been "playing nice". But we can't apply human standards to dogs. Behavior you see as harmless or cute, other dogs may find very bad manners or "unbalanced" behavior.

You've gotten some excellent answers already.

The only thing I'd add is that in situations like this, the instinct to pick up a dog when they are scared (while totally, utterly understandable) should be avoided.

The reason is that while we humans see this gesture as calming or comforting, it only reinforces the dog's fear of the situation. And the very last thing you want to do is reinforce fear in a dog, particularly a puppy. Because this will undermine her socialization.

She'll take it as a reinforcement that her fear is founded (which, in a way it certainly is) and she'll be a lot more fearful as a result. Whereas if you calmly lead her away from the drama or put her on leash and simply walk away talking calmly to her to reassure her, it would be much more ideal.

Now of course, the exception to this is if your dog is truly being attacked and is in danger of being bitten or savaged. Then, you gotta do what you gotta do to get her out of that situation.