Scooby

Why do my two house trained senior dogs constantly pee on their own beds?

We have two 10yr old rescue dogs, a male Aussie mix and a female Shepherd mix. Both are house trained and will always let us know when they need to go out to pee - and with 4 roommates, they go out plenty! The peeing happens during the day when we're at work (no one is home from 12-4) or at night if we don't let them sleep in the room with us/aren't home. Recently they also started peeing on the couch if we leave the throw blankets out - also when no one is around. I wash all the bedding in special enzyme cleaner I got at Petco, and soak the stuff I can't wash. We think it might be the dogs acting out as it happens when we 'neglect' them for a few hours. The Aussie will pee on anything the Shepherd pees on so it may be more her than him, but it's usually on his bed - they have separate beds in separate rooms. I'm at my wit's end and need help!

Just to be extra clear, they pee on THEIR OWN BEDS, NOT MINE. They don't sleep in our beds.

Asked by Scooby on Nov 16th 2010 Tagged pee, couch, urinating, night, alone, actingout, dogbed, senior in House Soiling

Best Answer

*Tommy*

They must like to feel like they own something and will stop at nothing to own whatever the other one wants to own so keep descencitize wherever they go pee but if you see them peeing tell them "no" and clap your hands stick them outside for a little bit no more than 5 minutes take a day off work (if you can) set up a video camera and attatch it to a small tv in another room when you see them pee say "no" and clap your hands and stick them outside only for about 5 minutes so they get the memo even when they arent home im not allowed to pee on anything if this doesnt work i dont realy know what will seek more advice if it doesnt work

*Tommy* answered on Nov 16th.

Answers

If this is something new, one or both of them may have a urinary tract infection. Take a urine sample to the vet for testing.