Dagul

Why do most of my male dogs pee on their bowl after eating?

It's really their habit after eating. Like when they've finished their meal and the bowl is empty they would pee on it.. I'm just wondering why..

Is it because they don't like the other dogs to touch their bowl?

Asked by Dagul on Nov 5th 2008 Tagged dogs, bowl, pee in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Peanut

Hmm...I've never heard of that before but I would guess they're marking their territory. It sounds like a behavioral thing and they need to be trained not to mark or pee in the house.

Peanut answered on 11/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's possible that it began with just one of the males, and the others learned to do the same thing. Are any of them neutered? This would help eliminate their want to be territorial, however if they are constantly doing this, then the behavior needs to be stopped. Watch them closely when they eat. The second they finish, grab their bowl and take it away. This will make it so they can't pee on the bowl. If you are just letting them do it, they will continue, so you need to get them to stop. Please message me if you have any other questions.

Rebel

Are they neutered? Like the others said, they are probbley just marking their territory. If they are not neutered, it may be best if go ahead and get them neutered. Good luck! I hope this helps!

Rebel "In loving memory" answered on 11/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Deuce

marking his territory letting the others know that is his i saw this on this show we watch on animal plant me or the dog i love that show

Deuce answered on 11/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My answer is that maybe the dog is marking his territory, Do you have any other dogs at home? If so your dog may think that the dog is going to eat after his food. Maybe you should take the dog out after each meal and keep the bowl away from the dog so that the house will not smell like urinate.

Promise

This is... an interesting issue. I would think this would follow along with the "don't potty where you eat/sleep..." but perhaps not. It sounds like you are just asserting your dominance and "marking" your territory (your bowl) and stating with urine that you don't want anybody else to touch your food. Maybe it's like the tiny human who smashes his face into his birthday cake - nobody wants a piece, but him, after that. Are all of the dogs neutered? Just curious.

Promise answered on 11/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer