why is my dog so playful?and why is my dog takes things and plays with it like bottles of water?

Asked by Member 567043 on Feb 8th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Simple - because he's SUPPOSED to be.

Your pup is a 1 year old Golden Retriever. He's supposed to have loads of energy and be a very playful pup.

If he always has energy and is always running off with things, there are two things you need to do: one, provide him with the proper amount of exercise and two, train him to leave inappropriate items alone. A basic obedience class would be a great start for him and you to learn working with each other.

As far as exercise goes, Mickey should be getting two 45 minute leashed walks every day, in addition to play time (such as fetching a ball or running off-leash with doggy friends) and training (like 10 minute sessions at least once a day doing basic things like sit, down, etc.). EVERY day.

Abby answered on Feb 8th.

Answers

Abby's answer is 100% right, as usual.

I'm gonna go with Abby too.. My Gus (1 yr old boxer) walks almost and hour a day along with playing with the neighbors 3 yr old German Sheppard wrestling and chasing the rest of the day... Your baby has just a lot of energy.. if you have a dog park that is great to go to or doggie daycare is wonderful to wear them out too.
My 2 dogs favorite outside toy is a empty pepsi bottle with 1/2 doz small rocks in it.. just heavy enough to throw and it makes lots of noise..
Have a great weekend>

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI

I agree with the rest of the group. I have two black labs - Abby will be four in May and she STILL hads loads of energy! Another thing that I've been told by our obedience class teacher is to watch out for foods that have a lot of ground yellow corn in them. It's like speed for dogs I guess. We switched her food and she isn't as hyper as she was, still has a lot of energy though. Oh, bottles are one of her favorite toys too!

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI answered on 2/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

That is what dogs do same with my dog.So just let your dog have fun when he cans but not to much fun.