why do dogs walk in a circle before pooping? why do they kick dirt after pooping?

why do dogs walk in a circle before pooping? why do they kick up dirt after pooping?

Asked by Member 1074833 on Dec 2nd 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Charlie

My Poms don`t go in a circle when pooping. But they will kick up after doing so, Dogs have sent glands on their paw pads, when they scratch the ground it leaves a sent mark, ind of like a Dog lifting it`s leg.

Charlie answered on 12/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had asked my vet that very same questions for all my dogs.
I was advised that as in humans when we walk it helps to move our digestive system. With dogs once they have found a scent they walk in circles to manipulate their digestive sytem and bowls therfore making it easy for them to defecate.

As for the kicking up the dirt that's instinct they leave their scent through paw pads and urine.

They also walk in circles and dig when they're about to nap or sleep, that's also instinct there anscesters did it in the wild to move leaves and debree etc to make a comfortable rest area.

I hope this helps ;)