why do dogs turn in circles before having a b.m.?

Asked by Member 931565 on Dec 19th 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Taking a poop leaves a dog vulnerable to attack. Dogs circle to make sure there is nothing coming to get them.

K-10 Von Canein

Puppies and dogs fed kibble know that the smell is so horrid it is going to make them dizzy. They associate this with spinning in cirles, thus makiig themselves dizzy prior to going poo!

K-10 Von Canein answered on 12/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think having found the perfect spot, they are exercising to stimulate themselves to bring on a bowel movement without getting too far away.

I spend a lot of time with dogs that need to eliminate. I have housebroken 19 puppies since 1991. If you read through what I posted at www.dogster.com you will see how much time I spend outside with them.

I also have picked up some tricks allowing me to take puppies in public places from 7 weeks old while avoiding accidents. Take them to a grassy spot and give them a command, and most of them will urinate giving you some time to get into the store and back out. Bowel movements are more difficult. I sometimes have walked them around for 15 minutes before they had a bowel movement. I also see the same thing with older dogs.