Why do dogs throw up their water after they drink it?

Asked by Member 605717 on Mar 10th 2008 in Puppies

Answers

It is not normal for a dog to do this! If you know a puppy or dog that is doing this or your own dog is doing it it NEEDS a vet!

Layla

Well...it depends on if it's doing it every single time it drinks water or not. Or does it do it when it's excited and playing?

Our pups will sometimes do it if they drink in the middle of play or begin play right after drinking. If that's the case, then it's not cause for great concern because the pups stomach just hasnt settled from it's drink before it decided to play rough.

However, if it's a constant thing and does not involve play, then I'd suggest a visit to the vet!

Layla answered on 3/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Tonka

Tonka pukes up water after she goes outside and/or has been playing or running. Her first instinct is to go get water and then she manages to barf up water shortly after. She doesn't have a medical problem or anything. It's just like people if they play sports really hard, then drink a bunch of water, they will throw it up too. I wouldn't worry if it's more like a spit up. If it's actually the wretching/vomitting afer drinking then I would take him in.

Tonka answered on 3/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Depends on how often this happens. Some pups drink too fast or it simply goes down the gullet in a funny way.

Dogs have a very long esophagus, and water can sit towards the top if it isn't swallowed right.

Jack does this sometimes, usually from drinking too fast.

Now, if your dog is doing this all of the time, or if he is doing it with food as well, there could be an underlying reason. The most serious condition is thankfully the most rare, and it is called Megaesophagus. It is basically a malformation of the esophagus and it is usually diagnosed quite early on in a puppy's life. It can also effect older dogs, as well, but even less often than in puppies.

The main symptoms are an involuntary regurgitation of food and water. This differs from vomiting in that vomiting usually involves heaving or retching, while regurgitation is just spontaneous.

Again, this would be happening with food as well and often if it were to be of concern.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

My dog Haus has an issues with this and has had one for most of his life.Some dogs are just sensitive to water when drinking in large quanity.Haus has been scoped and biopsied and on drug trials and so on with no results. So what i do is moniter his water intake,fill the bowl with room temp or luke warm water and not allow him to drink until aout an hour after a meal and he is fine.If Islack on just one of these he will vomit up his meal or just vomit up what is left in his belly .
Please don't take this in a way that if there is a problem it is going to be over looked.It took several years to figure out what worked out for Haus and many medical tests later. Please work with your Vet before trying any of the above.
Good Luck!
Haus and his mom

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 3/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sharna *2000 - Sep 2007*

Sharna threw up after she drank water but she would only do it when she drank it to fast. I was told that it is because they drink it to fast and they swallow to much oxygen because they drink it so fast.

Sharna *2000 - Sep 2007* answered on 3/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer