why do dogs scratch at carpet alot?

We have 3 dogs but 2 of them will constantly scratch at the carpet, then lay down where they scratched it, why do they do this?

Asked by Member 584882 on Feb 21st 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

In the wild, wolves (IMO, the ancestors of dogs)would scratch at the ground to make a more comfortable sleeping place for themselves. Treader isn't much for scratching anything, but I have seen him scratching my bed so that he would be more comfortable sometimes.

Miss Buddie

My dogs do the same thing before they lay down. They will also turn around several times before they actually lay down. Like Treader said, it's from their wolfie days. :D

Miss Buddie answered on 2/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dudley

I'm sure it is some innate behavior but it's pretty goofy if you ask me. One of our pups will scratch and scratch at tile before he lays down but doesnt do it anywhere else. You'd think after they figure out that it's not making anything better that he'd quit but he'll do it for a long bit of time if you let him.

Dudley answered on 2/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer