Why do dogs scoot their butts across the floor?

I wonder if she is trying to get the rest of the poop off, or is she playing, or could it be worms? I'm a new owner and this is interesting to my daughter and me.

Asked by Member 869387 on Aug 20th 2009 Tagged scooting in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

This can be a sign that her anal glands are full, and she's not able to express them, herself, during an elimination. If this is the case, she should be checked by her veteranarian, who will express them manually. Anal glands can become impacted and, if left untreated, can cause a dog much itching, burning, and discomfort. There can also be a most unpleasant odor associated with this.

On the other hand, she certainly could be trying to clean her tail, or it could be itching due to worms.

answered on Aug 20th.

Answers

The most common cause is anal glands. You can have a groomer or vet empty them. Groomers are cheaper, but vets do a better job at following up if it isn't the problem.

My dogs do it because they have something stuck on there butts. But mostly it is an anal gland problem.

Auda abu Tayi

Be careful with anal glands. I had one that got impacted and abscessed.

It was terrible, the infection ruptured. It looked like someone had,” tore me a new one”. I was very sick and had to have surgery to clean out and close the wound.

Please, get it looked at. No dog should have to go through the ordeal that I did.

Auda abu Tayi answered on 8/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

take him to the vet and ask them , it could be from an anal gland that is impacted to parasites.