Moose

Why do dogs have "running fits?"

Occasionally Moose gets extremely excited, and runs laps around the house/yard. I know that it's nothing bad for his health, but I was just wondering why he does it.

Asked by Moose on Mar 31st 2008 Tagged run, play, excited in Exercise & Play

Answers

Lily

It's a wonderful way ot burn off excess energy called the 'Zoomies'. Lots of young dogs have it.

Lily answered on 3/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Some like to call it the "zoomies". It's when they get a sudden burst of energy. Like when they've been staying still for a long time (my dogs does it when he's been in the crate awhile and I juts let him out sometimes) and suddenly just HAVE to run around. My dogs do it a lot.
Haven't you suddenly found that you have extra energy sometimes? Same thing with dogs.

Layla

One of our pups does it nearly daily. At our house we call it Puppynapolis 500 because he runs a certain course over and over again. It's quite comical and generally entertaining.

In Dudley's case he usually does it after he's come home from a walk, after a bath and just other random times. He could be dead tired from a walk or from playing but he'll still get his second wind and off he goes.

Layla answered on 3/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yep. We are so familiar with the "zoomies." I do it daily as well. I am a Husky with a lot of energy. And, after a nap or something, and I see mommy, I go wild running laps around her. I think it also may have something to do with impression? I think it is a dog's way of trying to impress or please the owner. I know I love it when mommy laughs at me (if I'm doing something funny on purpose). I repeatedly do the thing that is funny.

I think dogs "zoomie" because they are excited!