why do dogs eat their babies? is it because something is wrong or is it jealous?

Asked by Member 982236 on Apr 18th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Gidget

I have read that a mother dog's instinct will tell her if a particular pup is not healthy and will not live.
She then will kill/eat the pup to allow the other pups to have more.

This may not be the only reason, but I have read this before, many times.

If she eats them all, then that surely is a different story, unless for some reason they are all unhealthy. I suppose that could happen, but seems unlikely to me.

Gidget answered on 4/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There are many reasons...
a too young mother
a mother with poor instincts
an ill mother or puppy
too much activity around her pups(I think this is the main reason)
another dog threatening her pups
too many people around the pups

Jealousy is not a reason for it, however if other dogs in the household are bothering the pups she may kill them or eat them in a misguided attempt to protect them from the other dogs.

Isy

All of the above.

Another big reason is Calcium deficiency. When a pregnant bitch is not fed an appropriate diet and is not supplemented with calcium during and after labor, the bitch becomes hypocalcimic. Once this happens, she becomes very aggressive to her pups and attacks and kills them. It is not clearly known if the hypocalcimic state causes a type of mental instability or if she does this to protect herself from damage and possible death due to lack of calcium.

Isy answered on 4/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

All of the above is true. However, a good breeder never lets Mom and pups be together when they are not being closely, strictly monitored to make sure nothing like that happens.