Cody

Why do Dogs attack my Dog for no reason?!

Cody is a Husky/Wolf mix and he is 9 months old. Cody is extremely friendly in some ways too nice for his own good. People with puppies are actually surprised how gentle he is and love him for that. Whenever I take him to the dog park I've been noticing some dogs are just aggressive/attacking him for no reason. I feel like I gotta register him for Doggie Karate or something; (joking). Poor guy runs away and the bully dog doesn't let up, then I gotta rip the owner a new one. Question is...WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!?!

Asked by Cody on Jun 2nd 2010 Tagged aggression, submissive, bullydog, biting in Aggression

Answers

Cody. It may be in the greeting. Does Cody rush up to greet, or turn to the side? Watch his dog-body language. Some dogs need to be taught how to greet others.Some dogs do not like puppies, they are too exhuberant for some older dogs. Also, if he is not neutered he could be a target for other dogs. Some dogs are bullies, and their owners do nothing to stop them. I would avoid those dogs so Cody does not become dog-aggressive. I have seen many submissive dogs get ganged up on for no apparent reason. If he has doggie buddies he can play with that may be better than the park for now. So many reasons, so few characters left! Try keeping him leashed during introductions, but keep the leash slack. Then if there is no issue both dogs can be unleashed to romp, but if there's a problem both owners still have control of the situation.

It is interesting because he is part Wolf and Husky. He doesn't have the puppy instincts/language most domestic dogs have (certain breeds are more closely related to wolves than others in their behaviors and dog language they speak. These include some spaniels, sheepdogs, bull dogs, retrievers, shepherds, huskies, and terriers). By puppy instincts I mean the need to play, wrestle, and chase each other like puppies do. Domestic dogs have been bred over the years to remain playful and puppy-like. He may naturally be more of an "old soul" type so other dogs see him as being standoffish, so they target him because he is not giving off play vibes. I agree with the other response, you may need to teach him the proper socializing techniques so other dogs don't read his body language as threatening or weak. Hope this helps!

Buddy

Your dog might be showing certain body language that you don't notice, but the dogs do. Considering he's part ferral, he might seem different to the other dogs, setting themoff at him. In a wolf pack, the alpha male, and the alpha female walk with their tales held high, and heads up. If Cody does that, the dogs might notice, and fear him of taking over, and attack.
Also the lower ranked wolves must crawl on their bellies, and lick the alpha's muzzles before walking normally around them. Cody, as the only dog of the house assumes that he is the alpha male, and acts in that manner, therfore causing other dogs to fear him leaing to attacking.

Buddy answered on 6/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Delta

I have that same problem, too. My labrador/doberman mix is a very friendly dog, has never attacked another animal (except for the cat lol) and has never attacked a human. When I take her to the dog park, there are some dogs that are just bullies. Usually they are just playing too rough, but sometimes there are mean dogs. I just call my dog back, put her on a leash and take her to a quieter area of the park.
The reason may be because he is a wolf hybrid. Wolves and domestic dogs are different in their behavior, because they have more of a "wild" instinct. By wild instinct, I mean that they still do some things that humans have bred out of domestic dogs. The other dogs may see something "different" about him that humans may not notice.
Also, is your dog neutered? If the answer is no, then another male, uneutered dog could be challenging him over a female in heat.
Good Luck with Cody!-Delta
P.S. Cody is cute

Delta answered on 4/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer