why do daschunds lick inside other dogs mouths?

Asked by Member 744419 on Sep 29th 2008 Tagged dogs, licking in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

hercules

my rat terrier hercules does this to my other dogs, he is the smallest of four. i have recently read that the reason that they do this is to let the bigger dogs know he sees them as the leaders, i always thought it was weird too, but it makes sense to me now. they also lick my husband and my chins when we love on them , they said that it is a sign that they see us as pack leader. it isnt a bad thing. good luck with your dog.

hercules answered on 9/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

All breeds of dogs do this - this is a pack instinct, and it is something that other pack members do. Some dogs will lick each others ears, eyes, feet - it's normal. Make sure that neither one of them is getting upset about it to the point where they are trying to attack one another to do the behavior.

Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA,

Licking at another dog's mouth is an appeasement gesture, and signals that the "licking dog" is not a threat to the "licked dog."

It is a holdover from a fixed action pattern that many canines (from a variety of species) engaged in during whelping. Puppies get food from adult dogs by licking at the mouths of the puppies, which triggers the mother to regurgitate food to feed her young. (Seems a little gross, I know)

Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, answered on 10/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer