WHY DO CHIWAWAS PEE AND SLEEP SO MUCH

MY CHIWAWA SLEEPS ALL DAY AND ONLY GETS UP TO PEE, EAT AND POO THEN RIGHT BACK TO SLEEP WHAT SHOULD I DO ?

Asked by Member 1030595 on Apr 14th 2011 Tagged sleep, eat, poo in Behavior & Training

Answers

Kazba

I think the best thing to do is to take the dog in for a complete check up with your vet. This seems to be alot of time sleeping and it is better to see if there is something wrong before it gets to bad. I hope it is nothing but it is better to be safe then sorry.

Kazba answered on 4/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Need more info. Is this all of a sudden? how old is your chihuahua? As mentioned..get a vet work up if this is something new. Are you home all day?How much exactly is all day? Surely the dog is not sleeping 24 hours a day with only a pee/food break. How much exercise does he get? How much mental stimulation?

Dogs can be just like some people. Unless stimulated to exercise and/or get out of bed it is easier to just stay there. Lack of exercise leads to poor muscles and more difficulty in exercising, which makes the whole problem worse.
I agree that your first visit needs to be with your veterinarian and, assuming the dog is healthy, YOU need to start with short walks, gradually increasing the distance and the pace until your dog is back in shape.
Set aside some time each day to play with the dog as well... get some new toys or tennis balls and go outside and play some games.
As your dog becomes more stimulated and fit, you will find it much easier to keep him/her moving.