Max

Why do chihuahuas have a soft spot on their head

Asked by Max on Jan 18th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Chloe

Why? My immediate response would be: "Because many breeders make the headtype a priority". How the head appears, dubbed "Apple head" or "Dear head", are mainly ploys by non-serious pet owner breeders/ backyard breeders & are phrases you'll see in any newspaper. AKC only recognizes the "apple dome", (www.akc.org ), but with the breed as popular as it is I figured you'd see a wide range of heads...thus producing this "deformity". Note that it also mentions the word "Molera" in the same description.

The parent club, (www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com ), explains that the official word for "soft spot" is molera & it's perfectly normal! It also says that it's a common misconception to think it's "water in the head", (as I've seen while a vet tech). So it appears we learned this together about the chihuahua breed!:)

Chloe answered on Jan 18th.

Answers

I think that some breeds were developed through some genetic fault. Notice how some breeds look like babies (almost)? Some think that they are descended from dogs that never fully developed. Humans babies have soft spots. I don't know if puppies do or not, but if they are descended from dogs that never fully developed, it would make sense to me.

Jesse

They should not have a soft spot on their head.You should have that checked by your Vet

Jesse answered on 1/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer