Why did my dog pee on my friends shoe?

Met a new friend. While we were sitting and talking, my dog (who was actually laying on his foot) got up and peed on his shoe. Does that mean he approves of him and he's marking him as his property now?

Asked by Member 779666 on Dec 14th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

First, unless your dog has done this sort of thing before, or unless he continues to try and do it, it's hard to say whether he even meant to aim for the shoe or not.

Some dogs do pee on people's shoes or legs, while others just do it once by complete accident. That's easy to tell, though, since the dog usually won't have it happen again.

But if the marking was itentional, it's is more than likely the opposite of approval, I'm afraid.

Marking is a territorial behavior, true. But, when a dog meets a stranger, sometimes the perceived threat can make dog urinate on the person while trying to establish himself as dominant and territorial over you.

If he doesn't do it again, don't worry. If he does, don't get upset, or scream or anything. Just make sure to stop him, even if mid stream and direct him to a more appropriate place to pee. He'll be stopped AND know you're boss at the same time.