Why are wheatens considered good apartment dogs?

I have been researching soft coated wheaten terriers and they are listed as good apartment dogs. That seems strange because they seem so energetic, they'd need alot of space to run. They use to be irish farm dogs, how are they different from a sheltie or aussie as far as apartments go? Why would they be considered good for apartments?

Asked by Member 846943 on Jun 18th 2009 in Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Best Answer

YAY! Your very smart for researching before you buy! Great choice! But I don`t think they would be either. If you are a first-time dog owner, a Wheatie is not a good choice as they can be quite feisty and hard to control. I think almost any dog can live in an apartment if given adequate exercise and attention, so it depends. It seems you`ve done your research, but here`s some more info any way:
www.dogbreedinfo.com
www.dogster.com
www.tampabaygsdrescue.org
www.k9calendars.com
www.dogmanners.com
www.dogster.com
warrentonkc.tripod.com

If you need more info, PM me!
Much Love, Rosie

answered on Jun 18th.

Answers

Wow, I can't believe they are listed as being good apt. dogs! Every Wheaten I've ever known has been a loveable handful, pure terrier; always into something and in need of a LOT of exercise to burn off that classic terrier energy.

A friend of mine has a wonderful, friendly and ridiculously cute Wheaten but he is a holy terror in a small house for her and has eaten her kitchen cabinets and virutally everything that wasn't nailed down. Now, I'm usually the one on answers saying that no dog breed is 100% and that all dogs are individuals so you can't count on anything being breed-specific, to be on the safe side. BUT in this case, I think you should maybe contact a breed rescue group for "real world" advice and experience before bringing one into an apartment.