Sonny

Why are terrible dog food brands like, Iams, Purina, and Pedigree, the only ones that are commercialized?

Why not dog food brands like California Natural, Innova, Canidae or Orijen? They should be commercialized not crap like Beneful or The Good Life.

And why do they lie about how nutritious their brands are? Isn't that illegal? Tell me what do you think about that?

Asked by Sonny on Aug 16th 2009 Tagged bad, dogfood, dog, lies, dishonest, food, commercial, nutritious, nutrition, advertisement in Pet Food

Best Answer

Katie

Hi Sonny,

If by "commercialized" you mean "advertised," the answer is budget. Higher quality dog food manufacturers spend their money on higher quality ingredients, not heart-warming ads that try to convince you that feeding your dog their brand will make dog healthier, your relationship better, etc.

When my kids were little, they wanted to eat Life cereal, which contains a lot of the same ingredients as the big name-brand foods, plus a lot of sugar. I did then what I do now for my dog: I read the labels and educated myself about what they were eating. Remember that commercial?

"What are you eating?"
"Some cereal. It's supposed to be good for you."
The kids decide not to try it, but to let their little brother, Mikey, try it because "He eats anything."
Not surprisingly, since it's high in sugar, they end up exclaiming, "He likes it! Hey Mikey!"

This commercial is not illegal. With milk (which adds protein), cereal "can be a part of a nutritious breakfast." But not every meal!

Katie answered on Aug 16th.

Answers

I think you are wrong. First of all, the brands you mention ARE COMMERCIALIZED. They are made by companies making money from selling them. Companies making high profits on foods little different from the common brands by playing on people's emotions. Ones that use deception to make other brands look bad. Even the homemade and raw diets have those selling ingredients to make money.

The smaller companies don't have the money for TV commercials. So they fill the internet with nonsense containing just enough truth to keep from breaking the law.

The only thing wrong with the common brands you are complaining about is that some of the ingredients don't appeal to people as well. They all contain all the nutrients dogs need. Iams is very well proven in the several service dog programs that use it. The objective, well educated professionals have every incentive to and enormous resources to choose a good food for the dogs they spend a fortune training.

Daisy

Actually I have gone to an actual dog food nutritionalist. Iams and the like are bad foods he NEVER recommends them. Science Diet and all those foods make a butt load of money off their food because it costs them next to nothing to make and they charge alot for those cheap ingredients. So they have alot of money to spend on all these expensive tv ads. Innova, EVO,etc have poster type ads that you may see in your pet food store but thats it. They spend their money on quality. Foods like Healthwise made by natura is so cheap because they dont advertise at all which is why I learned alot of people havent even heard of it. They do this so people can afford a decent food for their dog.

Daisy answered on 8/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yep I agree with all three answers so far.

For the companies, it is easy the grocery stores carry the names on t.v. and it is like one stop shopping, buy your food and the dog's food in one spot.

They all have labels, so it is not really lying.
And then some have that wonderful picture on the front, it looks like something we would eat. All about sales and marketing.

I would rather go and buy the label that says Solid gold actually her bag is pretty blue metallic with the cute dog and the moon.
But, that is not why I buy it. I buy it cause it is good for my dog and she loves it.
Maybe the Orijen and other top companies don't do commercial because they already spend enough in what's in the bag. makes sense I guess.

Aster the fact that you state the foods differ little from eachother shows how little time you have actually taken to read the ingredients in different foods. There is no deception when a person compares Kibble's N Bits and Innova EVO. There is no decpetion when comparing Purina and a raw diet, or a homemade diet using fresh whole foods.

Not all ingredients are created equal. The ingredients used do and can make a huge difference. A dog's body can't use all ingredients effectively and many are abosorbed differently. Not to mention that dogs have no need for grains or carbs. Foods high in carbs are horrible for a dog with cancer. Kibble is severely lacking in moisture which can be very taxing on certain organs. Many of the low quality fillers contribute to crystals in urine and diabetes.

I won't take a guide dog schools word without research anymore then I would take a vets word for it. It's not much more then common sense. I don't want myself or those I love eating fast food and junk food for a diet and I don't want my dogs eating it either.

The grocery store brands have a commercial every 30 minutes. They show pictures of fresh meat, and whole foods. Why? Why would they do that? I mean none of that is actually in their food. The common brands are the ones playing on people's emotions, they are the one who is misleading.

The ingredients in the higher quality foods speak for themselves.

Great answer Delilah!...& lets remember who is paying for those high priced & misleading commercials & advertisement...That's right...The consumers...while being sold low quality bags of junk...I think that's sad but hey! it's big business!
So Aster, you think that the smaller more ethical companies have some kind of conspiracy to fill the internet up full of lies about their foods?
That is uuuummmmmm an interesting theory to say the least.
Perhaps the internet has allowed people to be encouraged to do their own homework & actually research & compare ingredients?...Hhhhmmmmm?
You should really try that sometime yourself!