Roxy

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO RUDE WHEN I ASK A QUESTION ABOUT BREEDING??

So this is what people don't understand when they tell me not to breed. I don't want to become a breeder. I want only ONE litter. My dog and the stud are AKC registered and have passed the health requirements. I've wanted to have a litter of pups all my life, and i am going to furfill that dream. That is why i chose a pure breed and researched breeding. The average first litter for a dane is 5 - 8 pups. If we have 5 all those pups are alreay accounted for. If we have 8 then we have 3 to sell. I don't want to make money off my dog. Each of those pups are going to their new homes with signed aggreements that if the new owned doesn't not want to keep the dog, it is to be returnedto us. We will then try to find it a home, if we can't we will resume responsiblity for it and keep it!! We have a large home with a large yard. We are going to have her fixed after a litter. We also have a mutt we adopted from the SPCA that we love dearly, my daughter voluntereer at the SPCA.

Asked by Roxy on Apr 21st 2009 in Great Dane

Answers

Sunny

I am VERY sorry if people have been rude!!! But I think It is due to the current overflow of pets in animal shelters and such. Pet lovers (including me) do not want people to contibute to that.

Sunny answered on 4/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

If you need to ask questions on here ABOUT breeding, then obviously you aren't ready to breed your dog.
Your dog is absolutely beautiful but should she be bred for your own selfish reasons..NO.

www.woodhavenlabs.com

People generally sound worse when they aren't telling you what you want to hear.

It sounds as though you hadn't done your homework. And a good breeder would.

Your dog is only 1 year old.. you should know that just because your dog has had 1 heat, that doesn't mean you should breed it.
You should wait until it is at least 2 and have testing to make sure you are not passing faulty things along.

There are plenty of BYB's and pound pups.
A good breeder breeds to filter out the negative traits of the breed, and has done their homework and testing before.
And waits the appropriate amount of time.

This is why people are angry.

Your dog isn't old enough to have OFA's done so she has not passed all health requirements...We are not talking a simple vet check!
Being AKC registered is in no way a claim to the health or quality of your dog.
As far as "just one litter"...You should read these links:
www.woodhavenlabs.com
www.nonprofitnw.org
www.hswc.org

Max (aka Sebastian)

Probably because your great dane is too young to breed and be healthy, with giant breeds at the age of 1 they are still maturing, also if you want to breed, then you should educate yourself about it first, like you are supposed to wait at least until her 3rd heat, also the pups need to stay with the mom for a minuim of 8 weeks, 10 would be better. If you are serious about this, you should find a good breeder to be your mentor, and let you know the ropes and answer any of your questions.
There are so many homeless dogs out there and back yard breeders who are breeding because they want to or to make money instead of maintiaing healthy breeds.
This could be another reason. It being a dream is almost a selfish reason, it is not considering your dog at all. Also has she had xrays to ensure proper hips etc.
If you want the experence of having pups, volenteer and foster a pregnant dog that is homeless and help her with her pups.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 4/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 5 Report this answer

You and I have talked about this in private, and you know exactly why so many people have problems. You aren't health testing, so you are setting a lot of people up for heartache (and yourself up for financial turmoil when people want refunded the money on their unhealthy dogs). Hip displasia doesn't usually rear its ugly head until later in life, so what if you are passing that on? How awful of you to do that to those families.
I won't say anymore because you know that you and I have discussed this and you know the answer to your own question. If you weren't questioning the ethics of your decision, then you wouldn't care about what a bunch of strangers on dogster think.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 4/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 6 Report this answer

♥Angel Sasha ♥

People are not trying to be rude to you; everyone wants to help you.

♥Angel Sasha ♥ answered on 4/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Okay, your kind of getting me frustrated here! Just like BamBam, I've talked to you in private. I've apologized (numerous times) for being so rude to you in your other question, but you don't seem to want to forgive me. If your breeding your dog for YOUR crazy dream your obviously not thinking about the good of the dog as mentioned in a previous post. If you ask a question, your going to have to be prepared for some criticism okay! You cant just expect people to be: La Dee Da, oh, you want to breed your dog for personal reasons, okay! That's fine that your not thinking about your dog! ...I'm sorry, but you have to understand. If being rude is the only way, so be it. Your dog is beautiful and you should not breed her. GET HER SPAYED A.S.A.P!!! She is more likely to get all kinds of cancers if you don't. Even though she is 18 months, she is still just a baby. Great Dane's mature slower than other breeds. Hope you take this into consideration.
~ Rosalie(Rosie)

It is a shame people are ever rude. Perhaps they need to read www.dogster.com

However, others and I are very upset about the millions of dogs we slaughter every year for lack of homes. Also many people struggle with poorly bred and socialized dogs.

So there is a tendency to go ballistic when somebody asks basic questions about breeding. A forum like this isn't the place to learn the thousands of things a breeder should know.

Nice, but the question you asked made it obvious that you needed to do more research before breeding. It was a basic question, one that future breeders are supposed to know early on in their studies.
One, I saw no one who was rude to you, and I kept a watch on the question as I do on all breeding questions, so I saw every single answer you got.

Two, the vast majority of the people who bother to ask questions about breeding are passionate on the subject.

Three, this is the internet. As you cannot hear the tone of the authors's voices or see their facial expressions when typing, it is very difficult to determine the tone of the post. I've found that most of the time, the way a post is interpretted is affected by the reader's mood at the time. You're depressed, you read a tactful post, you'll tend to interpret it as "rude".

I would also like to inquire as to what genetic health tests you had done on the bitch and stud, as some seem to believe that a vet-check is all that is needed.

I read the other questions of yours and didn't find anyone being rude. I found that you might have received answers that didn't fit what you were hoping for but, that doesn't make them rude. You too should go back and read them again because they are helpful.

Your dog is too young to be bred and is too young to have had the necessary health tests done. Vet checks do not count as health tests.

AKC papers mean nothing and, are certainly not indicative of a well bred dog and is not reason enough to breed.

Working in Great Dane rescue I can assure you if people want a Dane there are plenty available even puppies in shelters and rescues across the country. Get involved there and see what this wonderful breed is faced with. You wanting to have a litter is a poor and selfish reason to breed. If you want to have a litter do some volunteer work and take in a pregnant dog who needs help. Don't contribute to the over population problem by breeding. Have her fixed before her litter.

What a selfish "dream". Although you THINK your puppies are getting good homes, those could have been homes for shelter dogs. If I hadn't saved Nari, she would be just another shelter dog wrapped up in a black plastic bag in some shelter's freezer because of people like you.

Jake, MY Great Dane, is also a rescue. Yes, believe it or not, there ARE Danes out there who need to be rescued who won't have that chance because of the puppies your dog will be producing.

If you choose to follow through with this, I really do ask that you PLEASE do your homework. A physical exam at the vet is NOT "passing all the health requirements", she will need her hips and elbows x-rayed, her eyes examined, her heart checked, and her bite checked by vets who specialize in that area of veterinary practice.