Missie

Why are my dogs back teeth yellow?

I was just looking at my German Shpepherd/chow chow's teeth and I noticed her very back teeth are turning yellow! What could have caused this, and how can I help her?

I am thinking about brushing her teeth, but I heard toothpaste is poisonous to dogs, is that true?

Asked by Missie on Feb 16th 2008 Tagged teeth, germanshepherd, chowchow, yellow, toothpaste, backteeth in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

I get Dentaclean dog toothpaste from Pet Smart, also I have a dog toothbrush that I use for my dog.

It cost about $6.00 a tube but it goes a long way.

Skippers Mom

Woof

answered on Feb 16th.

Answers

Kobe

Does you dog eat its own feces? That can cause the discoloring of the teeth.

Kobe answered on 2/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is more than likely just tartar build up.

You're absolutely right that HUMAN toothpaste has chemicals that are harmful and even dangerous to dogs. But, most vets and pet supply stores carry doggie toothpaste that is safe to use. Most of it is also very tasty to the dog. Mmmmm....chicken flavored toothpaste! Yum!

You can use a dog toothbrush, or one of those little rubber sleeves with bristles that fit over your finger.

First, just get the dog used to the paste by offering some on a treat. After a couple of days, start using the paste on the brush and just offering it to him, eventually working up to putting the brush in his mouth and brushing gently.

Most vets say that it is okay to only get the outside of the teeth, so don't worry about getting into every nook and cranny. Just lightly brush around the parts near the gum line.

Tartar can contribute to heart disease if it is swallowed over a long period of time, so daily brushing is a good practice!

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

the above critters are on the right track except maybe the poo eatin' thing.
We use a cut up Terry cloth towel,we cut into 4" x 4 squares.Wrap them around your finger and start brushing the outside of the dogs teeth.You don't even need to apply tooth paste(yes human paste is not good for dogs)for those that are on a tight budget.Just the wiping motion will remove some debris.The inside of the teeth are cleaned by the hard kibble and bones along with the tounge.
So a daily wiping will help keep tarter from forming and gum disaease from starting. Keep those choppers healthy!It will add wears to your life.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Brenda the Lion

I think is tartar. And once the tartar has build up, you need to take your dog to the Vet to get a professional cleanup * very much like a human when he has a lot of build up*. Brushing only helps to remove bacterial plaque * a very soft, thin and sticky layer of bacteria* and needs to be done as a preventive measure. After having the tartar removed you have to brush your dog's teeth just like many owners have described before. It's my opinion that soft diets dont help dogs to have a good gum health. I have also noticed that now that I offer raw bones to Brenda, my Chihuahua X with a cross bite, she has reduced the amount of tartar present. You could find a good chewing toy that promotes dental cleanups or natural chews that help Missie have an extra self brushing every day. Right now, a Vet should help you removing the tartar, later will be up to you to maintain a good mouth health for your dog. Missie will be healthier and she will get rid of dog breath too! Great, isnt it?

Brenda the Lion answered on 2/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

all of the above answers are very true, just realise that the neglect of this could lead to gum disease, (dogs dont get cavities), and that is potentially dangerous to your dog, and can kill them.. Not that I'm saying that you would do this, just makin sure you knew the dangers!!
Woofs,
SAMMY