WHY ARE MY BASSETT HOUNDS EYES RED AND OOZING? TWO TRIPS TO THE VET ARE NOT WORKING.

Asked by Member 815657 on Mar 14th 2009 in Breeds

Answers

Perhaps try a different vet? Not all vets are worth their weight in salt. Yours may be one of them that isn't.

The description you gave is very general, and it could either be normal Basset eyes (every Basset I've ever seen has somewhat red and droopy eyes), or something more serious.

Hi - Wow - 2 vet visits and no help -
I bet your kid has allergies or even some yeast . You may want to try some grain free food and supplements. Also, you can get a Second opinion from Another VET...
Here is some help:
oozy eyes and ointment....no rx needed:
source - see here:
en.allexperts.com

Maisy

Two vet visits and they didn't help huh. Well my dog is a basset hound and she had red ozzing eyes and we took her to the vet multiple times.

One day I looked out the window and she was out side and her eyes looked worse than every. She actually had a cyst. The eyes are where they show you that they are sick. She would have died if I hadn't taken her to the vet.

Less than a year later her eyes started looking bad again this time we found out that she had a thyroid problem.Once we started her on thyroid medicene they go back to normal.These are only a few problems that show through your dogs eye that I have experienced.

Also there is something called trichiasis that my dog has gotten.This is where the dogs eyelashes are growing in.This is what I would check out first.If your dog has this, It is not hard to treat.It is a procedure that the dog is put under an anesthetic then they remove the ingrown eyelash.My dog hasn't had any problems since the surgery.

Hope this helps

Maisy answered on 3/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sounds like your dog has Pink eye. And there can be a red pinkish discharge.
Very easy to treat with Eye drops from the vets.
But, if you hunt with them they can get poked in the eye by brush and briars.
I would say Pink eye.