Who's the pack leader now? 2people w/ 2pets come together, how to make them listen to the other new person?

Me and my 4y/o dachshund just moved in to a place with my boyfriend and his 2y/o pug. The problem is his pug listens to his commands and ignores me and he is having the same problem with my dog. Any suggestions?

Asked by Member 985152 on May 4th 2010 in Commands

Answers

Switch dogs. His dog you feed every day, walk every day, train with every day. Take time for his dog to accept you. The pug will in time.
Just like us it takes time to form a relationship. His dog will however show him more loyality of course. But, you can bond with the dog in time. :)
Also up your treats. I use meats like chicken and beef ect. The more valuable the food the more the dog will follow you around. :)
Maybe in another 6 months everything will be better :)

Max (aka Sebastian)

I agree 100% with the 1st answer. Switch places when it comes to the care of the dogs, food is good, therefore you give the food, you are good, basic enough, it may take some time, but it should work.
The really good treats are a good idea, only you give the pug tasty treats and BF only gives your dog tastey treats.
The dogs will come around. And you guys will be one big happy family

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 5/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree completely with the other answers, but I'd also like to add this....

Try not to get too hung up on the whole pack leader thing. While it's true that it's a good idea to cross train the dogs and make sure that the dogs listen to both of you while they adjust to the new living situation you have, the vast majority of dogs understand that the person who feeds and walks them is more or less their alpha. There are some dogs who need a firmer handling and you'd know for sure if you had one of those dogs. Because that dog would never do anything unless he wanted to. BOL.

But I see a lot of people getting caught up in the whole alpha/pack leader thing and they lose sight of the fact that they already have well behaved dogs who respect them. It becomes upsetting to the owner when there really isn't a problem (at least not of that type) even going on outside the owners head, if that makes sense.

Good luck with your new place! :-)

Good point, Jack! I always remember when I managed the humane society and people would come to look at a dog. I would actually have to leave the room in order to get the dog to pay any attention to the people at all. They would always comment about how much that dog loved me and if they took it, it would always be looking for me. The reality was that I was the one who fed those dogs 7 days a week, and, after the homes most of them had come from, those were the first regular meals they had and they naturally adored me since I was giver of food!
Become the giver of food and you will be adored!