White dots covering poop?

I woke up this morning to find that my little Chihuahua had a accident sometime during the night so it was kind of dried up.. not completly tho. But her poop was covered in white spots. They are very small n it looked like snow caps or zingers kind of. N when I cleaned it up pieces fell of n just looked like little white pop rocks. What is this?

Asked by Member 1131155 on Sep 17th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

It sounds like she may have a tapeworm. The little white things you see are the egg segments shed from the worm. Most people describe them as looking like grains of rice...cooked rice when fresh and dried rice when they dry up.
OTC wormers do not work for tapeworms so you will need to get one from your veterinarian. Most tapeworms in dogs are from the dog ingesting a flea so it is a good idea to deflea the dog when you worm her to prevent her from getting another tapeworm.