Where did Boxer dogs originally come from?

I am trying to find out information for a reprot that I am doing on Boxer dogs but I can't seem to find out where they originally came from. Can anyone help

Asked by Member 976523 on Mar 23rd 2010 Tagged originate in Boxer

Answers

The breed was developed in Germany.

Germany like me :)

I also believe back in the day when the breed was in Germany it was known as the German Boxer. The AKC and american public shorten the name of it.
Wikipedia has some great info on dog breeds.
Many many breeds that we have here came from Germany.
en.wikipedia.org

Jackson

Yeah, Germany.

Jackson answered on 3/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The Boxer originated in Germany towards the close nineteenth century and gained recognition as a guard dog in 1926.

♣Duchess♣

They were originated in Germany,
but the English ended up naming them.
The first Boxer came to US in 1903, and was registered with the "American Kennel Club" in 1904.
They were bred as " working dogs".
I have also heard that they make fine family pets!
Also, thought you might want to know this,
this breed is prone to getting these health issues- "arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy" and " Sub-aortic Stenosis. Both are heart conditions. And they are also prone to getting hip dysplasia ( a health problem detected in their hips).
Good luck with your report.
-Duchess

♣Duchess♣ answered on 3/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rocky

The Boxer originated in Germany from a primative fighting dog called the Bullenbeiser and English bulldog. The Bulldogs, Great Dane and Mastiffs all orginated from this same primative dog. The boxer was found to be a great hunting and family companion. Good luck with your report.

Rocky answered on 3/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Carly

The breed was developed in Germany and is about 70% Bullenbeisser and 30% English Bulldog.

The Bullenbeisser, in turn is a decendant of an Indo-Iranian breed known as the Alaunt.

The Bullenbeisser itself has been cross-bred out of existance.

Here is a more detailed history: www.boxer

Carly answered on 11/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer