Where can I buy a Shar Pei Puppy? I would love to have one. I live in Victoria.

I am looking for a Shar Pei Puppy to buy, but I don't know where to ask about them. I live in Victoria. Chinese Friends of mine have the Shar Pei Puppies and they told me a lot about these dogs, and theirs are so gentle, friendly, love to play, love people etc. And I just love their "Wrinkels" as I call it. This will be a dream of mine come true if I can have one of them. I am a very big animal lover, they are like my children. They are my whole life, I love them so much.
Please give me information about places in Victoria.
Many Thanks,
Amanda van Vuuren.

Asked by Member 1075915 on Dec 6th 2011 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

It is unlikely you will be able to find a quality, well-bred Shar Pei in Victoria- it's an uncommon breed, and the last thing you want to do is buy from a pet store or amateur breeder. Shar Pei can have a lot of health and temperament problems, which good breeders do their best to NOT perpetuate. Pet store and amateur breeders don't care about health or temperament, just money. You will probably have to travel, or get the pup shipped to you.

I recommend visiting the Shar Pei Club of Canada website:
peiclub.com
And the Shar Pei Club of America too (since it's not hard to import a dog into Canada from there)
www.cspca.com

They both have breeder directories and advice on how to choose an ethical breeder. I would not buy from any breeder who's not a breed club member. Good luck!

I agree with Bruno. There are things you need to know about picking a good breeder as well, but it's kinda hard to cover in a single answer, even though I do know how to bypass the 1000 character limit feature, so I'm just going to refer you to a webpage I made about breeders: cookiemiller.tripod.com

I imagine you should also be able to find a rescue group specifically for Shar Peis as well.
Here's one: www.csprescue.ca
An internet search should bring up more.