Where can I advertise to breed my male short haired Jack Russell for Stud?

I'm looking to breed my male Jack who is nearly 4 years old & was wondering if anyone knows where to advertise?

Asked by Member 918585 on Nov 16th 2009 in Jack Russell Terrier

Answers

Traditionally the owner of the bitch approaches the owner of the stud dog...You might want to start by joining your local kennel club & finding a responsible breeding mentor.

I agree with the previous poster. Finding yourself a reputable and experienced mentor first is the best move.

cookiemiller.tripod.com
~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

Ruby

Agree with the others. Where I live there are sooooo many Jack Russels who are abannoned or their owners post a "Free to good home" ad. Not quite sure why, must be a breeder around here who breeds alot and sells to people she shouldnt. If I wanted a Jack i could choose between so many, thats quite sad, so please only mate with a reputable experienced breeder.

Ruby answered on 11/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Seth

Well i am going to ask a few hard questions to you first. What makes your dog a good choice to use as stud. Is he good at showing or in other dog competitions. Do you want to use him as stud to get a puppy from the litter. If you are doing this to try and make money I think you are doing it for the wrong reason. You may have to contact someone and lease a bitch for a litter and this may help you out in the future. I hope you are doing this all for the right reason and i wish you luck

Seth answered on 11/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Most reputable breeders are going to use a dog that has a compatable pedigree with their own bitch and is currently winning whether in the show ring or in the performance ring. They want at least four generations of verifiable health clearances and a pedigree known for producing dogs which conform to the breed standard for that breed. I currently have a 10 week old female toy poodle. Assuming she grows up correctly, finishes her championship and passes all her clearances, I already know exactly what line I will be looking for her mate from and probably which actual dog he will be.
My best advice for you is to take a copy of his pedigree to some dog shows where you can meet with some owners of his breed and discuss his pedigree with them. They would then evaluate him and advice you as to his breeding potential.
BTW... depending on his registry, you dog may be a Parson Russell terrier or a Jack Russell Terrier and it is called a smooth coat, not a short coat in either registry.

I have a JRT with a smooth coat. I want to breed her and am looking for a male and want the litter from her, but im not looking to sell them.

Wilbur

IMHO Unless your dog has proven champions several generations back and he also is a champion, and been health certified BAER,CERF, etc I would not breed him. Also it is advisable not to breed after age five as when they age the sperm becomes less viable.

Wilbur answered on 4/10/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer