When will my mastiff puppy settle down?

I have a 5 month old mastiff mix who is loving and very playful - to the point of being destructive because he's so big already. I know mastiff's grow into calmer temeraments as they age but when might I expect this. I don't know how much more damage the house can take ;-)

Asked by Member 874124 on Sep 6th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Mastiffs aren't considered adults until after they are 2 years old, and while Mastiff puppies do often engage in puppy behaviors, they aren't typically as hyper as other puppies so what you may be seeing is whatever he is mixed with. I suggest some basic obedience classes. This is too big of a dog to allow to be so out of control.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 9/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You can eliminate the destruction of the house by training the dog.
A dog that big should be learning basic manners now. Enroll him in a puppy class and get going on the lessons. Once you realize how easy it is to train a dog, you'll have no problem making him a well behaved dog.
But, another thing that you must do to eliminate the destructive behavior is exercise him. A tired dog is a good dog.
If you do one and not the other (exercise vs.training) you will still have problems.
Contact your local shelter and they should either have classes or know of classes available to puppies.
Don't delay in doing this otherwise you and your dog will be miserable.

Dogs are not born knowing basic house manners & obedience...You must train the dog to behave appropriately indoors...The dog will not reach a magic age & then behave.
If I were you I'd invest in some obedience classes for you your pup.