King

When will my german shepherd's ears go up?

My german shepherd's ears were up when they were like 3 or 4 months but now that he is 7 months there down and go off to the side ( looks like wings) when will they go up?

Asked by King on Jul 8th 2009 Tagged germanshepherd, ears in German Shepherd

Answers

Buddy ~In Loving Memory~

Hi there!!! I had/have 2 German Shep/ Border Collie Mixes and both of their ears were like that. I think it's just a German Shepherd thing. Don't worry he will grow out of it soon. There is a pic of Buddy as a puppy on his page and his ears are like that too. Enjoy the cuteness while you can!!!

Buddy ~In Loving Memory~ answered on 7/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It really varies. Don't fall into the trap of giving calcium supplements. Excess calcium is the worst possible thing for a growing large breed's joints, and most puppy chows are already close to the 1.5% maximum. The best thing is an early switch to an adult chow.

I have had many pups and they do go up / down for the first few months.
As late as 9-10 months sometimes.
If you dog is a male with a large head do not be alarmed. They seem to take a little longer.
The ears will tilt also in puppy hood.
If you look at Dieta's you can see how tall and big they are. She was okay after the 10th month.
The teething process effects them alot that is why they are doing weird things. Keep the pup busy with a black kong. And also ice cubes help teething.:)

Renji

my ears didnt go up untill 4-5 months.

Renji answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Winston

Winstons ears were fully up by 5 months, but they did go up and down before they stayed up perminently. Have you seen his parents ears? Maybe they have adorable floppy ears too??

Winston answered on 9/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lucky

That's what happens when a German Shepherd puppy is growing. The ears will stand up and droop down. It's perfectly normal and there's nothing to worry about(:

Lucky answered on 11/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kazi

I would start taping if his ears are falling to strengthen the ears. Tape until they don't fall down anymore. Check out leerburg.com to learn more about it. I wouldn't waste too much time. on the site you can see some before and after pics too.

Kazi answered on 2/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer