When to u know it's time to put your friend down? My 17 yr old 61 lbs shep mix is really down. need info.

Boo-boo has cushing disease (2+ yrs),arthritis and bad hips. 5 days ago he would not move, he could not get up and couldn't hold himself up with help-next morning he got,went outside on his own. He's is eating very like but I cater to him ie steak last night,chicken and rice this morning. Bowel movement everyday (small amount) but nothing today. Drinking water, Just don't know -when is the time. He has a vet appointment at the end of April- maybe just wait and see day to day. Anyone with info or ideas. let me know. thanks PS i found boo-boo on the streets of spring valley ca at the age of 7 weeks old.

Asked by Member 981127 on Apr 12th 2010 Tagged death in General

Answers

Tweeker (got his wings May 08)

Dogs don't show pain until it really hurts, so to not be able to move well or get up or down without help, then he's in pain.
You know it's time to let go when the dog seems to be suffering, ie. pain. or when their quality of life is no longer there.
It is hard to do, I've been there, but at least you have had 17 wonderful years with your dog, that is an extremely long time for a shep mix and for a dog of that size.
If he seems to suffer any more, I wouldn't wait until the vet appt at the end of the month, you don't want your guy to suffer.
It's hard, it's going to be hard, but remember it is your job to do what is best for him, no matter how bad it's going to hurt you.
I would suggest starting a profile on here, there is great support from others who understand what you are facing.
Good luck.
Also for me, to help with my grieving process, i volenteer or donate to a rescue every year on the anniversary when Tweeker passed.
in his memory.

Tweeker (got his wings May 08) answered on 4/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First, let me just say how much I sympathize with your dilemma. It's very hard to say goodbye to a beloved friend. And it's especially hard to make that decision.

Generally speaking, if a dog is still eating, still looking forward to food and perks up with attention, he's still happy. But it's so subjective. You can have a doggie who can barely move or is in pain 24 hours a day who still acts like this.

If this were my dog, I'd be looking for signs of pain which can include any kind of grouchiness, loss of appetite, acting negatively or flinching when touched or avoiding eye contact.

And if it seems obvious he's lost that spark, or if you feel he's having more days where he's not able to move on his own, then I'd say it's time.

The only good thing about making this decision is that you have some control over being able to be with him up until the end and make that transition easier for him. It's horrible, I won't lie. But you'd still be doing something to care for him. Big hugs

Woofie  1988 - 2001

Woofie was in terrible pain. I could see it in her face. Her head low, she could not even bring herself to walk up and down 4 steps to the yard.

She was my first rescue. I promised her that no one would ever hurt her again - that with me she was safe. I made this promise to a frightened 2 1/2 year old dog that had been abused and did not trust people. It was so hard, but I kept my promise to keep her from pain, I HAD to. I held her while the Vet explained the process and gave her the shots. She quietly died in my arms.

As sad as I was, I did right by her. It was more important to do what she needed than to hold onto her because I would miss her.
I will always miss her. And Truffle and Candy too. But I have no regret because I didn't think about me - only them.

Woofie 1988 - 2001 answered on 4/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cooper

Lucky you and your dog for 17years together! I think only you know when it is time. This is the hardest decision we have to make as pet owners.
I was just in your shoes 4 months ago. For me, the decision came down to her quality of life and the things *I* thought were important. For us the decision point came when she couldn't get herself up and out, while she was still interested in food and was interested in me, she was in pain and I didn't want her to suffer. (this was after a long term illness and in the end a couple of weeks of managing her pain).
I wish you the best and hope you find peace with whatever decision you make.

Cooper answered on 4/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Starbutt

Sadly sometime we don't want to face it is time to end the suffering. I feel you friend has been telling you it is time. This is a apart of owmership and it is not a easy task. How can you say good bye, one who has been with you and loved you unconditionally. It is not fair to let a animal suffer and animals are programed not to show it hurts but let me try this when you look into you dogs eyes and be honest with yourself if they don't look the same as they always have then I think you dog is trying to let you know it is time. Don't ignore it and it is not a matter if your dog eats or drinks if it is not having pee or poo coming out of him/her in a day or days this means his time is growning shorter and the pain is growning to. I will not say much as to if you can or can't it is hard to do this some let nature takes it course but let me ask you if this was you would you want to live you life as your dog is now? this one question should answer all as to what to do.
GOOD LUCK

Starbutt answered on 4/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer