When taking a puppy home in a car ride should you have it in a crate or in your arms?

They would be in the back seat. Drive would be more than 3 hours at least.

Asked by Member 1041293 on Jul 17th 2011 Tagged travel, car, backseat, crate in Car Travel

Answers

Molly

I routinely drive 3 to 4 hours with my dog. She has her own seat and seat belt. It keeps her safe if I have to stop fast or am in an accident. You might think that the safest place for a puppy is in your arms but if something should happen you are not in a position to keep him from being hurt. It is best to get a car and puppy approved safety restraint or have him crated. I know it is a long time but stopping frequently and letting him get out if he has to. Also you have to think of car sickness. Although puppies are cute puppy puke is not.

Molly answered on 7/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would say bring a crate, even if you plan to hold the pup. Puppy might be totally chill and want to sleep, but if they get squirmy or bitey you'll want somewhere safe to put them in.

And you'll probably want a crate anyway for housebreaking, why not buy it now and have it ready just in case?

I always bring the crate. And all three times I brought a puppy home, it cried so bad I held it on my lap.

Bring towels and a change of clothes, just in case.

Enjoy the new puppy!

I use crates for all my dogs. It keeps them safe in crashes or if you have to slam on your brakes.
Also long rides I use crates to transport.
I hang water pails in them too.

Here in Michigan it is againist the law to have dogs sitting in your lap in the front seat. It is a big no no, if you are driving especially.
I would suggest a crate or the dog seat as someone mentioned.
To me, they're just like kids they need to be safe. I wear my seat belt so should they. :) :)
have a safe summer

Seth

When I get a puppy, I have a crate in the car. The last puppy I got was over a three hour drive and because the car we were going to take had a flat , we forgot to change it over and ended up holding him the whole time. But many times it seems like we just end up having someone hold the puppy because they are scared and it seems to calm them down enough to get them home. But then you have to worry about them getting car sick. I guess I will say, bring a crate along. and see how they do in the crate, but be sure to get them out at least once during the ride. And if they cry to much you can always hold them.

Seth answered on 7/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer