when my pup eats she grab the kibble takes to the carpet throws , chase it ,and pounces on and eats it

Asked by Member 1001477 on Aug 23rd 2010 in Puppies

Answers

Millie ~In Loving Memory~

Oh my dog used to do that same thing. It is just playing as prey instinct as she would in the wild and to amuse herself. My dog grew out of when we got my second dog, because my 2nd one was taking it away from her when she would leave to go to the carpet. So if Missy is the only dog it does not matter.

Millie ~In Loving Memory~ answered on 8/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Both Tanner and Taylor do that. I love it cuz it makes me laugh!!

Curley

Aww it sounds really cute. I wish my dogs would do that.

I agree with the other posts, shes playing with it, and pretents its something shes hunting. Not a big deal. I'd actually like it if my dogs did that. :)

Curley answered on 8/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gidget

How cute!!!
This is just one of the bizarre things you will find your puppy doing. That is the joy of puppyhood. Just wish it would last a little longer.
Missy is adorable!!

Gidget answered on 8/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

that sounds like real fun.
I think your dog is totally cute! what a sweet little face :)

Shiver Me Timbers

My dog will be three this coming month and he still does it. He loves to toss his food around, play fetch with himself, put his hunting instincts into play with boring dog food, etc. It's highly entertaining to watch. Enjoy it while you can, as some dogs grow out of it, and as we all know some dogs just never grow up. ;D

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 8/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Squeak

Our 5.5yr old chihuahua, Squeaker, does the same with her food. If she knows we are watching she will turn her back on us, as if to say if I cannot see you, therefore, you cannot see me. She is a kick to watch.
Just do not let her catch you watching. If she is having too good of a time our big dog, Rocky, comes over to her and she chews him out.
Do not worry about this. All children play with their food at one time or another. She may be showing off for you. Just tell her she is so cute and special to you. Laugh with her. They love to hear you laughing.

Squeak answered on 8/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chu Chu

So cute, that reminds me of my dog. I love see her doing that when she was young. She quit doing that until the 2nd pup, Chu Chu, came home. She found out that Chuchu was not just visiting and Toto started to camp out by the food when she was too full and just couldnt eat anymore:)
To answet to your question, some dogs are not hungry at every meal. They may push the food around, tossing it or not eat it at all. Or they simply want to wait to see if there other choice of food. In this case, you might try different food to see if he/she likes it better.

Good luck and have fun with your pup.

Chu Chu answered on 1/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Reba

She is just practicing what her wild ancestors did long ago... Being domesticated, our canine friends can only learn their "hunting" skills through play as pups now... Later, they can develope these skills "hunting" rodents and such... And these behaviors are inborn, no one or no dog has to teach them what they feel by instinct...

Reba never "hunted" her food, but she would mock "bury it" to save it for later from the time she was a little pup if she wasn't that hungry... Only until there were other dogs in the same proximity also having a meal, who in her opinion may want her food that she couldn't bury properly like she wanted to, and she was older, did she start eating her meals without "a fuss".

Reba answered on 4/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boss Hog

LOL that is so funny and adorable.

Every dog is different and every dog has a different personality or way of playing and doing this.

This is normal puppy behavior, I know of lots of puppies who do this, especially small dog breeds.

Boss Hog answered on 1/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ace

My sweet girl used to do this. We bought her a toy ball that holds kibble and allows some to come out a bit at a time as the pup knocks it around. Your dog might enjoy something like this as well, and it will give her additional exercise as a bonus.

Ace answered on 2/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer