Cami

When my Chichuahua/Pug mix gets excited, she kind of snorts through her nose, sounds like she cough something up.

Is this normal for a Pug mix? Should I take her to the vet's?

Asked by Cami on Dec 15th 2008 Tagged colds, snort in Health & Wellness

Answers

I think she should be fine. My Chihuahua does the same thing sometimes.

Promise

Hi! Pugs in general do snort quite a bit when they get excited. Pugs can have an elongated soft palate, and their nostrils have issues due to their faces being smushed in (which creates more snorting/snoring) I think it's called brachycephalic syndrome . With a pug mix, I'd say that's more of her 'pug' coming out! If it gets to the point that she is doing it often or she can't breathe after a moment, she should see a vet. Good Luck!

Promise answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Spot

Pugs are brachiocephalic because they have the pushed in faces, there is really not much to do about it. Just don't get them too overly excited.

Spot answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well this is normal for not just a Pug mix, but really any small dog. My Chihuahuas will do this as well. It is called a reverse sneeze. The dogs that have smaller tracheas often can have difficulty breathing if they get too excited, drink too fast, or breathe in a strange manner. To help her out, you can cover her nostrils. This will force her to breathe through her mouth, and she will catch her breath which will cause her to breathe normally again. You can also rub her throat which can help as well. You should visit your vet to rule out any allergies because allergies can cause the same problem, but it is more uncomfortable for the dog because it happens more often. Best of luck with your little girl - she is truly adorable.

Hazel

i think she should be fine also these are common in small breeds of dogs my chihauha does it every time if we walk nonstop for at least 15 min.

Hazel answered on 7/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer