Alaskan Axle Phoenix

When do you stop giving a puppy, puppy food and start giving him adult food? He is six months old.

Asked by Alaskan Axle Phoenix on May 19th 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I'd say at about one year old.

Yeah, we started giving them adult food at one year old. But remember when you make the change, do it gradually. A sudden change in their diet can cause an upset tummy (or trouble going #2). Start adding the adult food a little at a time to the puppy food until he is just eating adult food.

Saint Raphael

This depends greatly on the breed. I have a Pit Bull/American Bulldog mix and my vet said that I should start with adult food around 9 months.

Sometimes feeding puppy food too long in large breeds can lead to health problems in the future.

But ask your vet about your specific breed and dog.

Saint Raphael answered on 5/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

We just switched Miss Buddie (9mos) to adult food since she and Stevie Ray (who's 18 mos) eat out of the same bowl. I asked the vet about it first and he said it was fine. We're using the same brand and same formula, just in the adult version.

Sometimes if your puppy is close to a year and gaining too much weight, the vet will suggest switching. Remember that puppy food is more calorie dense than the adult food.

Miss Buddie answered on 5/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Most dogs can be swithed around 10-11 months old. Some dogs need to be on puppy food longer, especially those who are underweight or stressed from adoption or illness. That extra protein can help these dogs greatly.

Puppy food is very fatty, which is great for pups, but not great for adult dogs.

If your dog seems to be thriving on his puppy food, I'd keep him on it until he's at least 9 or 10 months old.

Keep in mind that high quality brands, like Wellness, Innova, Eagle Pack and Canidae often have very similar formulas for puppy and adult foods, so transition is very easy.

When you do transition, make sure it is over a period of two weeks. Changing gradually makes it less likely for your dog to have gastric upset due to the food change.

Very cute puppy, by the way!

We are changing Zack over at a year, we were told we could do it sooner, but miss Sasha is a few months younger and they constantly are switching dog bowls. So you never know if Sasha is eating out of the pink bowl or the blue bowl and vise versa. Most vets recommend 1 year on puppy food, but there are exceptions to the rule. I would talk to your vet about your specific dog and situation, do you have other dogs? But six months is too young, he still needs to be on puppy food