Lola

when do i stop feeding my puppy puupy food

Asked by Lola on Dec 13th 2007 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Tiger Lily

You should check on the side of the dog food bag. It will tell you the right age to stop feeding puppy food. I believe it is at about a year.

good luck!

Tiger Lily answered on 12/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Misty

I would agree w/ the first post. You will see on the puppy bags good for puppies ages up to 6mos. good for + 1yr. I was wondering the same thing (yesterday as a matter of fact) Good Question!

Misty answered on 12/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red

A dog is a "baby" till 6 months and technicly a puppy till 18 months. A puppy for 1 year exactly after being a baby. BUT do go by the age on the dogfood. This age thing is mainly a personality gage. Jack became VERY mature right at 18 months. Enjoy the puppy years, silly, funny, goofy, and cudly. Things change so quickly. Jy advice...buy a new baby every 2 years! heehee

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red answered on 12/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Puppies can be switched to adult food between 10 monhs and 14 months.

The exception to this would be very large or very small breed dogs who have different nutritional needs. For example, some very large dogs don't stop growing until almost two years of age and need extra protein.

Lad, CGC (In Loving Memory)

Depends on the dog actually. I have a three year old male collie that I just put back on puppy food. I decided to do this because we just can't keep weight on him, he is very skinny because he is very active.

Ordinarily we take our puppies off puppy food sometime between the age of 12 months and 15 months. But if you have a larger breed dog the extra nutrition in puppy food is good for them because they experience such rapid bone growth, which can be hard on their little bodies. Puppy food has extra calcium. We also add plain, unfavored yogurt to our young puppies food to give them extra calcium during the time when their little bones are growing so fast.

If your puppy is a year old, or older and he/she is starting to gain weight on the puppy food, it might be time to switch the food to an adult food. Just make sure to do it gradually, mixing the adult and puppy food together for a couple weeks.

Lad, CGC (In Loving Memory) answered on 12/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Like Lad before me said, it really depends on your breed of dog.

It is recommended that large breeds like Great Danes and even German Shepherds, for example, should not be fed puppy food at all, but be started on an adult formula as soon as they're old enough to eat on their own.

The reason for this is that puppy food has so much extra calcium and nutrients that the puppies tend to grow faster than their system can handle. In large breed dogs fed on puppy chow, pano (a painful growth disease) is seen much more commonly as a result of this than in large breed puppies fed adult food.

Since your Lola is a Sheltie, I would switch her to an adult food at 7 months to 1 year old. The whole idea that puppies must be on puppy food until "they're fully grown" / x amount of years old is pretty much something pet food companies came up with.

Charlie

All puppies need the extra nuterients that you only get from a puppy food. Small dogs reach maturity at a faster rate. A Maltese is full grown by 5-9 months where a Bull Mastiff is still growing at age 23 months. He still need good quality food. If your dog is ting I'd switch at the year mark and if he's a large dog I'd go 12-18 months.

Charlie answered on 12/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer