When do i stop feeding my puppy puppy milk from the shops ?

Im getting a puppy in 4 days and he is 6 weeks old at the moment he is being fed mummy milk from her tits and puppy milk from the shops so when iget him i need to know if i need to keep feeding him puppy milk from the shops or if i dont but if i do how much longer do i have to keep feeding him puppy milk from the shops ?(he's 6 weeks old) :)

Asked by Member 1120276 on Jul 12th 2012 in Puppies

Answers

You can feed him puppy food that is moistened. He should not be taken away from his lttler-mates and mother until he is at least 8 weeks old. Is there a reason why you're getting him at 6 weeks old?

Starbutt

as far as I know it is against the law to sale a pup at 6 weeks they are to be 8 weeks old I think if the mother dies then the owner is still having to feed the pup till 8 weeks of age. Where is the pup from is it pure bred. Once pups have teeth in their mouth I start them on puppy food I use pedigree. You also have to be a wear of worms, I have seen round worms mostly, get some wormer Happy Jack and read the direction it has been to long since I had pups (2007) if it is a breeder you are getting the pup from they already have shots and wormed if not then you can get them at the vet. You may want to get a crate and crate train I find this very good all my dogs are crate trained. If you have any question I am sure everyone here can help you.

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 7/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A puppy should not go home until it is fully weaned. Six weeks is too young, but even so, he should be weaned. No milk. Puppy food. You might have to soften the kibble with water or no-salt broth, then gradually reduce the amount of moisture until he is totally on kibble. Again..NO milk. Many dogs are dairy intolerant.
While there are laws in many states about the 8 week age, not all states do. Plus from the sounds of it I would guess the OP is from Great Britain

Tiara

I do not think I would get a puppy unless the puppy was able to eat hard food on its own. 8 weeks is a bit young, and it does not sound like it is ready to leave the puppies mother yet. I would wait a couple of weeks at least before I picked them up.

Tiara answered on 7/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This puppy really should not be on mama anymore, it should be starting on puppy food and being weaned of mother alltogether, he is far to old to be suckling off mother still,his teeth will be growing and mothers breasts will get sore, remember if mum has a litter and theyre all 6weeks old and are still feeding from her! she needs to stop lactating so her body can go back to normal,They should be on mother once a day and on solid food once a day aswell until they are gradually weaned off mother alltogether. when you get puppy i suggest buying dog food specifically for puppies, dry food can be softened with a bit of puppy milk if you want to make it easier for puppies to eat, then replace the milk with water and then eventually ust the solid food. Puppies should normally start weaning off mothers milk around 3-5 weeks. (i have succesffuly bred 3 litters of pups!and raised 2 dogs from puppies) anything else you need to know give me a message! :)