Chloe

When can you take the puppy out for a walk? What about a trip to PETCO or the beach or the park?

My doggy is turning 2 months this thursday and that is when chloe is getting her shots. I would like to know when i can take her out and about and on walks. Thank you in advance. (:

Asked by Chloe on Jun 22nd 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

GUS

My vet told me to wait until I finish with the series of shots ( I believe it is 3 - one each month) before I take my puppy anywhere with other dogs because it could get parvo. He also said If I want to take him to PETCO just be sure to carry him so he dosen't get anything from the floor since he is still suscteptible. So for the time being I just take my puppy on walks around the neighborhood and I am cautious about what he may get into.

GUS answered on 6/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Up until a certain point, puppies are protected to some extent through the mother's milk that they've gotten, but after that, they need their puppy shots to build up antibodies against common diseases such as parvo and distemper.

It's very important to take puppies out and socialize them as early as possible by exposing them to lots of different places, sounds, and people.

However, it's recommended that you don't take them to places a lot of other DOGS go to, such as pet stores, because the chances that she will get sick from a sick dog that is there (or has been there) are much higher at places frequented by a lot of pets.

You can, however, take her a lot of places that don't get many four-legged visitors and also carry her a lot of places. Spending some time outside your local 7-11 or Starbucks, enjoying a coffee and holding your puppy will give her a lot of experiences - sounds, smell, sights, people to come say hi, etc. and is a great way to socialize w/o a lot of health risks.

The period between 6-12 weeks is a dangerous time. One sniff where a sick dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can bring on parvo or another life threatening disease. Fail to expose it to strangers, including men, women, children, noise, etc. and you could end up with a misfit you can't take out in public. They also need continuing contact with other dogs, but it must be limited to ones you know are getting good care. This link has some help on safely socializing your puppy, www.apdt.com

While after 12 weeks it may be too late for socialization, it is not too late to catch parvo or other diseases. See www.avma.org Once a shot takes, it is still 2 weeks before the puppy builds immunity.

I wouldn't take her to a Petco for another 2 months. I would avoid the park and any beach where there are many dogs.

Zackintosh CJ

A good place to take her would be a well-run puppy class! Sometimes referred to as puppy kindergarten.
That way she can get lots of great socialization in a controlled environment with other vaccinated, healthy puppies.
If you wait until she has all her shots to take her out and socialize then it will be much harder and you will have to counter-condition and desensitise like you would an unsocialized adult dog. If you take her out places, using common sense, there is a very very low chance of her getting sick.
Avoid places like pet stores, parks, dog parks or playing with strange dogs.
I read that the "odds" of a puppy getting sick from a well run puppy class is about 1/1000.
One puppy class I read about only had 3 pups get a serious illness in 33 years. One was a 5 month old dog (Which should've had all its shots), one was a puppy who'd gotten its first two and the other was a pet shop puppy.
A good thing to do is give her 100 positive experiences in 100 days.
I will pmail you more.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 6/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer