When can I take my puppy near other dogs or longer walks, he is around 3 months (rescue not sure of exact age)?

I have heard you don't want to have your puppy in places where other dogs walk or use the bathroom alot. I live in a apartment, in a well populated area of los angeles on a street where lots of people have dogs. His regular bathroom area is where other dogs sometimes go as well (don't have any other spot to use). Should I be worried? He has had his first round of shots, and will be getting a "booster" shot in another 2 weeks. Its just really difficult to try and get exercise without being in these areas where other dogs are around. I don't let him in direct contact with dogs, more worried about him picking up something. Thanks!

Asked by Member 708440 on Aug 17th 2008 in Health & Safety

Answers

Rosie

I would wait until he has had at least his third vaccine. The dieases out there are not worth taking a chance on a young puppy catching. Some breeds are more at risk than others so if you don't know his breeding I would keep him at home until he is fully protected. You can use up some of his enerygy by play training with him its fun for you and him.

Rosie answered on 8/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Axl

I have heard that you should follow the 3 "P's rule until your pup is fully vaccinated. NO PARKS, NO PAVEMENT, NO POOP (other dogs poop). However, Parvo because it is virus it will take on different strains and can mutat and your pooch can still catch it even after it has been vaccinated, so until they are 2 you must be vigilant about watching for signs of the disease. It is highly contagious and fatal. Hope that helps.

I got it at 14 months but survived because my Mom was on the ball. But it cost and arm and a leg.

Axl answered on 8/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would make sure it has its basic shots, maybe wait for that booster shot and definitely its rabies shot. That depends on the vets- most will do it when the puppy is either 4 months old or 30lbs. Once you get that- then you can go anywhere you want- i would recommend a doggie park. :-)

Meanwhile, don't let your puppy smell other dog's poops...if it comes in contact with another dog- give it a few more baths than usual until it is all vaccinated.