When a puppy is spayed/neutered, how long will it be before he/she can go outside and take a bath?

My puppy is a 4 month old female Schipperke mix, and was spayed almost 2 weeks ago. She has been acting very lethargic ever since I got her a week ago.

Asked by Member 629217 on May 3rd 2008 Tagged spay, bath, play, schipperke, puppy in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Brenda the Lion

Did the Vet remove the stitches and say the healing was OK? She might be in a little bit of pain or be swollen inside. First of all check if she has fever, or if her appetite has changed. Look for signs of difficulty to walk, defecate or urinate and call your Vet describing all the signs you noticed including the lethargy . Your dog can have a bath once the stitches are removed and the wound properly healed. You should wash the wound with a soft oatmeal soap and avoid using other types of chemicals directly to the wound. Iam a bit concerned about your dog being lethargic because after 2 weeks she should be on her way to be 100% recovered. Ask your vet about this, I dont think it is good.
Good luck

Brenda the Lion answered on 5/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When the stitches are removed I think. When you go back to remove the stitches you should ask the vet just in case. If they are the type of stitches that "turn into" part of her skin, then I'd say it's OK but it'd be best to to call up the vet and ask. Again, just in case.

Your puppy shouldn't be bathed or take for walks outside the backyard until her stitches/glue have dissolved or been removed, depending on which method of incision closure has been used.

If she's lethargic, definitely consult your vet. It is normal for dogs in a new home to go through some emotional stress, but lethargy after surgery like that is a big red flag that she could have complications from the surgery.

More than likely, she'll be fine, but if she has an infection, it needs to be treated in order for her to be okay.

Good luck....once you get this sorted out, she'll start adjusting better to her new home once she's feeling better.

Only 4 months huh. Many vets believe that is too soon to have you dog altered. Most shelters believe it's okay though. When we got our girl from the shelter she was much to young to be spayed so we are on an agreement. They seem to think it would be okay to go ahead and do it at 4 months but we want to wait a little bit closer to six, less chance of complications and she will be older and more adjusted to our home. I would definately take her to the vet, although if thats the vet that did the spay for the future I would look into another vet, especially if you get another dog and have it spayed. Most vet's believe its not safe until 6 months of age, just remember that