Luke

whats to cold for a dog to be outside

I have to leave for work early in the mornings and sometimes late at night. luke is a big dog with a medium coat he has a dog house under a patio close to house with blankets I put in evey time he takes them out. if hes cold will he seek shelter in dog house for warmth? whats to cold its getting down to 30 for few hrs at a time now

Asked by Luke on Oct 13th 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Makia 1996-2008

Personally I think Luke's hair is too short to keep him warm in 30-40 degree weather and he should be given a heater or be kept indoors. Dogs like Huskies, St. Bernards, Newfies are bred to handle the colder weather. I'm sure he will go into his dog house to get out of rain or snow but that doesn't mean he's warm. Even if you can give him space in the kitchen or laundry room in real cold weather, he would be better off. Luke is gorgeous.

Makia 1996-2008 answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bailey

You know I don't have an answer to that but I love dogs almost as much as most people and I don't have the heart to see a dog out in the cold. I even went as far as getting my neighbor's little poodle out of a snowstorm and bringing him in my home. I could have been arrested and my husband was yelling at me but I live in a fairly warm climate and this was a freak snowstorm and my heart was breaking for that poor little dog. I say if we are cold.. they possibly are too. That's just my opinion though...

Bailey answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

30's is kinda cold and a dog house isn't heated so maybe put in a doggy door would be a good idea.

A few things.First, if this is new, leaving him out side instead of crateing him,Start Now while it's a bit warm.He has a lot of coat to build up.My next point.He will develop a coat for outdoor weather and you think the shedding is bad now....just wait.

You know he is pulling the blanket out of the dog house,have you witnessed him actually useing the dog house?If you've never seen him take a nap in there chances are he doesn't see it as shelter.

There is nothing wrong with outdoor doggies.But they aren't born outdoor doggies.Just be sure he has the skills and tools he needs to be safe and healthy.Make sure you know he knows what the dog house is for.Plenty of water and I'd put water in two locations, one near his shelter space and one in his play space.Toys too. He'll get bored and this could lead to extra anxiety issues.Indoor toys,outdoor toys.Not indoor/outdoor.

Okay.My typing and communication skills are lacking I hope I was able to shed some light on this for you.

I as well believe this is too cold for a dog to be outside. My Pyr loves the winter and at times you will see him curled up in a snowbank catching some zzzz's but even he knows when to head inside the house. I think a doghouse protects against sun and rain but not extreme cold. Your dog may go into his house in the hopes to find warmth but I can't imagine he'll be warm, especially with no blankets or hay to help. He depends on you to keep him well fed, warm and healthy, and in return he will give you many years of happiness.

Bandit

My shih tzu PREFERS to be outside even during chilly weather. he will gladly spend 5 to 6 hours outside (or in the garage w/ a heated bed) even when temps get into the mid 30s--then we humans say it's inside time.

I think it depends on what provisions you provide. If you are providing a dog house, straw is a GREAT insulator and will help him keep warm. But i would strongly suggest and outdoor, weather proof, heated bed. The model we use keeps a constant temperature at around 80 degrees (you have to check it periodically to make sure all wires are intact and it is otherwise sound-keep it safe). We have used heated beds for years w/o any problem.

If you leave him out you just have to make sure you have a non-freezing water bucket, plenty of insulated shelter (or heated bed), and that you keep in mind precipitation--if it is snowing/wet dogs get much colder. Be smart if it is REALLY cold and windy leave him in... if he clearly doesn't want to spend time outside then don't make him

Bandit answered on 10/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer