Whats the best way to treat dry skin.

We have had her in to the vet and she doesn't have fleas so how can we treat her dry skin and her continuous scratching?

Asked by Member 834281 on Jun 18th 2009 Tagged bath, shampoos, scratching in Grooming

Answers

♥Molly♥

OATMEAL SHAMPOO!!!! IT WILL CURE DRY SKIN QUICK!!!!

♥Molly♥ answered on 6/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm a little confused by your question. It seems that the main complaint you went to the vet with was the scratching, and your vet told you that she didn't have fleas and the scratching was due to another reason.

Most of the time, you will be able to tell whether your dog has dry skin or whether there is another issue by the condition of the skin and coat. If the coat looks dull and lackluster, and you can easily see skin flakes (light/white colored, like dandruff) when you brush your dog, I would look toward dry skin as the cause. If that is not the case, it could be allergies or other problems.

If you're certain that you are looking at dry skin, adding a quality fish oil supplement, along with Vitamin E, to your dog's diet will make a difference. You could also switch to a fish-based food, as that will contain those fatty acids that will improve her skin and coat.

I would stay away from frequent bathing, even with oatmeal shampoo, as frequent bathing also causes dryness and itchin

Daisy

A good diet will do wonders I have no idea what you are feeding so its just 1 way I know of. My dogs skin got dry over the winter and they are on really good food. I just added fish oil to their diet it cured their dry skin issues really quickly to. :D

Daisy answered on 6/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The best way to treat it is to find out whats causing it... Whether it be poor diet, a food allergy, environmental allergies, etc. A lot of times skin conditions are caused by diet, just so you know! Definitely check out the food & nutrition forums for more information on good foods!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 6/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You might want to lean towards a better diet if there is no reason medically found.
Oatmeal shampoo is not the best and frequent bathing is also not best.
Change the diet and then not a bath til the skin has time to adjust to better food. Then in a few weeks pick a good shampoo such as solid gold's herbal shampoo, you do not need to use lots of soap on a dog, less the better. Throughly rinsing a dog's body is very important also.

I seldom if ever bathe a dog, never give supplements, and feed common brands of dog food. None of my dogs ever had a skin or coat problem. I do brush them frequently with a soft bristled brush.

Most of the dog food advice on the net is based on speculation. No matter how many times bad information is repeated, it is still bad information.