Tucker

Whats the best way to potty train an inside Yorkie?

I live in a condo and was wondering if potty training him inside using pee pads or liter is a good idea. Also, is training the dog to potty inside and outside a good idea? I need advice please!

Asked by Tucker on Nov 28th 2007 Tagged potty in Methods of Training

Best Answer

Lady Ivana (Porscha) Pierrah

Pads are what I used. Inside, if that is where you would place pads at. If you were to walk him on a leash regularly make sure he knows he can go outside (when on a leash since you're at a condo). He'll probably do that anyway.

Lady Ivana (Porscha) Pierrah answered on Nov 28th.

Answers

Cocoa puff

It sounds funny but crating is best, umbilical is good too. never let them do it. If they go off alone for 5 secs they had time to wet your carpet. keep them tied to you so you can watch them or crate them. Take them out on a clock schedule. Every 15min at first and then work it up. Feed and water on a schedule. I take food and water away after 8pm, or if you go to bed before 11 do it 6pm.remember Any small breed until 2 yrs old may have to go every 2 hours.I use piddle paddles as a back up. We only get them at night

Cocoa puff answered on 11/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shinji

In my opinion, training your dog to potty inside, be it with pads or litter, is a bad idea. It teaches the dog that going inside is okay, and there is a large chance that the dog will stray from the "approved potty area" and on to your carpet.

You should crate Tucker when you are not around, and watch him like a hawk when you are around. There are tons of websites that detail crate training, so just google it and read up for details. While training, you need to take him outside on the leash very often because he is young and his bladder is about the size of a raisin. Puppies are physically incapable of "holding it" until they reach a certain age, but eventually, he will learn to hold it until he is outside, and you can train him to potty at certain times. Every time he potties outside, give him treats and act like it's the greatest thing you've ever seen. Also, never scold for accidents unless you actually see them happen.

This will pay off, believe me. Good luck!

Shinji answered on 11/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer