What's the best way to get the "smell" out of the stuff my Border Collie finds to roll in!

Asked by Member 594973 on Jun 30th 2010 Tagged bath in Bathing

Answers

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

do you mean carpet and rugs? a neutralizer like Natures Miracle.
That works the best.
Or you can try Oxi clean for the stains in the rugs.
For the dog's body, most natural shampoos get the odor out. Pet Promise is good.
Maybe even a coconut based shampoo or natural ingredient brand.
I think you can safely add baking soda to the stuff too. Just a tablespoon at the most. Rinse her really good outside though.
Bridget loves to roll in stuff even after the bath... she likes to roll in snails, moles, and bird poop

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 6/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hector

A good bath is the only way I find to get the smell off of my dogs when they roll in something dead.

If it is a skunk, there are many skunk solutions on the market, but I have found a tried and true method. It is harsh on their skin, but not nearly as bad as having your dog and everything in your house smelling like skunk for a month.

If you add peroxide with dawn dish liquid, (the dish liquid is for the skunk oil that is left on the coat) and some baking soda, mix them together, and bathe your dog in it. Keep in mind, if you are working around the face area, you will need to do this very carefully, and use a wash rag instead of your hands. Rinse thoroughly. If you are able to get your dog completely saturated with this mixture, it will remove the odor all the way down to the skin. If you skimp on the solution, or get lazy while bathing, then you will continue to have that lingering smell.

Use a good conditioner to help with dry skin afterwords.

It works!

Hector answered on 6/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I like to use PETfection Puppy Suds Shampoo to get the junk and smell of the body, then follow up with their Deodorizer/Allergy Spray for good measure. Both products are 100% Organic and Non Toxic. I haven't had any issues with re-smelling the stank after the bath. You can check them out at www.mypetfection.com. Good luck!!