Ginger

What's the best type of collar or harness to use when running with my dog?

I'm not sure what's the most comfortable, and safest, collar (or harness) to use when running with my dog. Usually I use a nylon martingale but didn't know if there was something better I should be using. She's a medium sized Vizsla mix and doesn't really pull that much anymore. Thanks!

Asked by Ginger on Feb 27th 2012 Tagged collar, harness, running, safety in Collars & Leashes

Answers

Brooklyn

I would definetly use a harness for runs. Harnesses are safer. They don't choke the dog's neck like a collar does. When you dog struggles to keep up with you, you may be strangling your dog without even noticing. A collar should just be used to carry tags.

Brooklyn answered on 2/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

a harness is best for the dog and for you. I would recommend a halti. Its easy to put on and comfortable for the dog.It is a meshy type of material instead of the others that are like straps. you can get the halti at any petstore. Petsmart would be best though.

I highly recommend Stillwater Kennel Supply, they make the strongest dog collars and harnesses. Their dog collars/harnesses are comfortable on dogs too.

However, there are other great collars/harnesses too. Orvis, Collar Mania, Ella's Leads, Paco Collars, Lupine, Bully Mart, Ruffwear, Blocky Dogs, 2 Hounds Design, Planet Dog and Bija Collars all make good collars and/or harnesses too, all also make some of the strongest dog collars/harnesses out there and they are comfortable on dogs too!

I would use a strong collar on a dog who doesn't pull much and a harness or a strong dog collar on a dog who does pull a lot.

We just had a thread about harnesses over in the forums... go check it out, in the Sports and Agility section. Looks like a lot of people love the Urban Trail Harness by Alpine Outfitters. It doesn't restrict the shoulders like many harnesses can.

Though honestly, if your girl isn't pulling, the collar is fine. Harnesses are great because they take pressure off the throat, but if she's not putting pressure on her throat in the first place, why bother?