whats better two female dogs or a female and a male dog?

Asked by Member 978939 on Mar 31st 2010 Tagged females, or, male, and, female in Socialization

Answers

There's not really a definitely answer as it can depend upon a lot of things, but generally speaking, male and female tend to get along better. If I'm remembering my research correctly.
Never leave an un-alter male and female together unsupervised.

It's traditionally recommended that dogs be kept in male/female pairs rather than two of the same sex (assuming they're both fixed, of course.) That said, I've known tons and tons of families that have kept same sex dogs together with no problems whatsoever, so really a lot of it just comes down to training and socialization.

Not sure if you already have a female and are getting a second dog or if you're getting two dogs, but it's also generally recommended that you get dogs one at a time with time to train them in between, and not to get pups from the same litter.

Bear answered well, I would like to point out that two females, especially if they are not spayed or were spayed as adults and not younger puppies, tend to have the biggest problems getting along.
I agree it is pretty much always safe with a male/female combination, especially if both are neutered.

Bianca

The others are right - there are a lot of factors involved, including the individual dogs and whether they get along with one another.

But in general, a male/female pair tends to get along more often than two females. If you have a male/female pair, you need to be very responsible to make sure you do not have any unintentional breedings. I do not think any particular combination is "better" than another - all that matters is what works best for you, your family, and the dogs.

In our family, we have one female and two males (all spayed/neutered). But all three get along with most other dogs. We have had the neighbor's male and female dogs come over to play with no problems.

Bianca answered on 4/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

male and female or male and male and make sure they are spayed or neutered.
2 females tend to fight, even if spayed.
good luck. One dog families are just fine, dogs are social animals but they don't have to have another dog to share you. :)

Buckeye

Male and Female.

Two dogs of the same gender tend to fight. I have 2 Male dogs and they do fight sometimes. Make sure you spay and neuter!

Buckeye answered on 4/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lilly (RIP)

I would recommend a female and a male to avoid competition ect. But of course all dogs are different so choose whats right for you and your family (:

Lilly (RIP) answered on 4/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer